Forty Four: A Meeting of Importance

Tobias lead me swiftly and quietly through the back halls of the keep. I had managed to leave Kalor's wing without a fuss when Schula and Nassir couldn't. Now, they were relying on me to get the conversation started while we had time to speculate and prepare before the elves all met tonight.

I could tell the passages we took were less used than the rest of the keep. The only ones I saw pass us by were servants or other tired scholars. Only every other torch was bothered to be lit, making the hallways dim and gloomy. 

Up a stair case and around a sharp corner, Tobias finally had us standing before a wooden door with an odd symbol carved on the front that appeared to be a bow with a leaf drawn tight where an arrow should have been. 

"This is the Captain's office. Doubtless he isn't alone in there, we'll see how important you are or if he dismisses us both for bothering him," Tobias said. He glanced at me from the side of his vision, no doubt questioning my story once more, and then he knocked.

"Come in," Teyber's soft boom of a voice came through the door.

Tobias didn't hesitate in opening it, but pressing me to enter the room first.

The Captain was indeed sitting at a desk. His green cloak was hanging on a hook behind him, and the wall was covered in maps. Also in the room were two scouts, and as they turned to see who had interrupted their conversation with Teyber, I recognized Liana was one of them.

Teyber's eyebrows rose in surprise as he looked between us. "Wr- Lady. What are you doing here? And with Tobias."

It didn't surprise me that Teyber was still keeping everything he could about me a secret. It even pleased me a little to see Tobias frown at the missed opportunity for my name.

"I realize that... Kalor, is in an important meeting, but I... and the ones in Kalor's halls, would like to speak to him as soon as we can. There are some concerns to address for their original intent on coming to these lands that should be known to you before tonight."

Teyber nodded, scooting his chair back and standing up. "Liana, take the recruit class on their parameter check of the plateau. Jouna, relay the reports you just gave me to the other team leads. You are dismissed."

The scouts each gave quick salutes before walking past us and out the door. Liana kept her eyes on me as she walked, her expression blank.

"I'll take it from here, thank you, Tobias." Teyber moved a stack of papers from his desk to a drawer, and took a seat again.

"Oh no, I'm not going anywhere," Tobias protested. "I'm supposed to be clerk to the council, and this is obviously council business. I'm staying right here until I find out what is going on." 

Teyber groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose. Then he gave me a tired look. "Is that okay with you?"

"Not particularly, but we can work around it," I offered. 

"Then by all means, have a seat." Teyber gestured at the chairs in front of his desk, and we took them. 

I wasted no time in getting to my point. "Teyber, as much as I've enjoyed my time here, we came for more than just a social call."

Tobias was on the edge of his seat, eyes wide and no doubt trying to capture every detail he could.

Teyber sighed, crossing his arms over his wide chest. "I had wondered. Well then, what else brings you here?"

"The barrier my mother's people put around the..." I glanced at Tobias. "My current home, is deteriorating. Things are slipping in and out, and something dark is killing... um... the people there who patrol the borders."