Forty Five: Kalor's Daughter

"Alright," Teyber whispered low in my ear as he placed a big hand on each of my shoulders. He stood behind me and we faced a long hallway. "Halduin is going to be in that far right room. It's something of a strategy room for him."

"Should I knock?" I asked.

"No, I'll open the door an announce you. As a half elf, you outrank me," he said. 

"I outrank you?" I said in disbelief. 

"In a way. With Halduin you will. Just let me go in first."

"Alright." I could feel my heartbeat under my chest, beating strong and fast. I had no reason to be nervous. Except angering the elves somehow. No matter what magics I've learned, I can't fight a whole city at once. What if they wanted to capture or kill us? Schula and Nassir in particular were fae. And what if...

"Stay focused, Wren. I'm going in now," Teyber said. He patted my shoulders with his big hands and walked around me to make his way down the hall. I followed a few paces behind him, waiting for my signal.

Teyber knocked on the door twice, then opened the door without waiting for an answer.

"Captain!" A gruff voice barked out. "We're in the middle of a meeting. Get out."

"Lord Halduin. Lord Kalor's presence is requested elsewhere, and it's rather urgent." Teyber didn't let any urgency in his tone, his words would have to hold all the weight.

"If this is about the fae creatures he allowed into Eidelhein, and don't think I've forgotten the part you played in that-"

"Pardon me, Lord Halduin. I have a guest to announce, and it is no fae." Teyber leaned out of the door enough to nod at me, and I began walking toward him as he faced the room again. "Announcing Wren, a visitor from the lands of the witches, and a half elf."

Something hit something else, perhaps a fist to a table or wall. "Rediculous, there hasn't been the hint of a new half elf since..." 

I took my first steps through the doorway and took in the room before me. Kalor sat in a chair by a window, and the only other person in the room was a full blooded elf standing over him. Halduin. He had finer clothes than Kalor as far as I could tell from my brief knowledge of the fashions in Eidelhein. He also had graying hair tied back in a long horse tail at the base of his neck. He wore several bright pieces of jewelry, and his deep green eyes were wide as they locked onto me.

"Lord Kalor," I said, not knowing how else to address my father in front of Halduin. "I need to speak with you urgently before tonight's meeting is called."

Kalor looked at me with bewilderment, standing from his chair slowly. But Halduin had already recovered.

"You," he hissed, rounding on Kalor. "I knew it! That spawn of the witch survived, and you withheld it from the council for all these years."

"Halduin," Kalor said as firm as his usual tone would allow. "I had no knowledge of it, and the only one who returned and did was cursed not to reveal it. I thought she was gone. We all thought she was gone, and I just found her a day ago."

"Lord Halduin," I interrupted. "I have some rather urgent business with Kalor. For the sake of your own council, I urge you to allow me to speak with him so he may bring the most beneficial information he can to your meeting tonight."

Halduin's eyes narrowed at me. "Beneficial for who, witch?" 

My eyebrows snapped together. This scheming snake would jump to self serving information gathering, but that didn't mean Kalor would. I was almost ashamed to admit some fire licked my fingertips as my anger flared. Almost.