Twenty Six: The Half Witch

I rolled my shoulders back and lifted my chin high as we walked through the valley. We left in a bizarre procession of Gelwyn, me, Mila, Puko, and Gilly, then Schula and Nassir, and trailing behind were the assembled witches who wanted to watch. As we walked, more witches tagged onto the end of the line until we had a good fifty or so people walking with us to the farthest point of the valley. It was in the opposite direction we had entered through, but the caves looked all the same.

I spared some glances around us at the valley walls. Since all of them seemed to have cave entrances, I wondered more about where they would lead. Did they lead to the same hills we came in at, or somewhere else entirely? Before talking to Mila I thought I knew the answer. Now I wasn't so sure.

The sun kissed the high cliffs that surrounded the valley, making it dark a couple hours earlier than it would have been outside of them. It made the soft climbing slope more pleasant in the glow of a setting sun, and the fireflies began to come out to have their evening dance. Gelwyn seemed happy to lead the way, and I was happy to let her. It kept some of the attention off of me.

I had some nerves over the whole event, but nothing compared to the moment I stepped into the cave. It was an impressive space, I could practically feel the magic in the air and unlike the one we came here in, this one had no exit. Large chunks of crystal poked out of the walls and ceiling, glowing softly and casting a purple light around us. The space was plenty large, with a table of items in the center and nothing else to take up space. Sage and other spices had been burned here recently and a few odd candles illuminated the table and it's contents. Suddenly, the test was right here and I was no longer sure I was ready for it.

"The aspiring witch may stand by the table," Gelwyn announced in an important tone. Her words bounced around the walls as we entered the cave and the spectators all took up standing around the walls. Mila stayed with me near the table with Puko on her shoulder, but Gilly quietly gathered up Nassir and Schula to stand near the wall with her.

Gelwyn stood on the other side of the table, her sharp eyes inspecting every inch of me while our audience settled in. I met her gaze, willing her to get my message. She couldn't intimidate me. When the last witch had settled in place, Mika cleared her throat. Even Puko stayed silent.

"We gather as sisters under the Mother's gaze to witness the birth of a new daughter." Mila recited.

"As the Mother wills it," the room echoed softly.

"Gelwyn, you may begin."

Without missing a beat and without looking down, Gelwyn picked up a bowl from the table. It was covered by a light cloth, it's contents hidden. "A daughter knows the Mother's gifts. Identify eight of the ten ingredients."

Murmurs of displeasure surrounded me. Mila frowned and held up a hand for silence. "Why do you raise the difficulty of the test? It has always been six."

Gelwyn smiled, an answer already sitting on her tongue. "She is twice the age of the usual apprentice, you would have me test her as I would a child?"

Mila narrowed her eyes and shook her head. "So be it. The daughter of Lark can do this much."

My heart stopped. Could I? I could pick anything from that bowl without my sight? If it wasn't from the mountains I wasn't so sure. I hadn't spent much time elsewhere to identify other ingredients, and I definitely never tried to identify something like this by smell alone. But the only way to find out was to try, so that's what I did.

I leaned forward over the bowl and closed my eyes. The mix of smells was almost dizzying. This test would have been easier before I fully grew into my half elven body. I swallowed hard, trying to clear the sting of something spicy from the back of my throat, just from breathing it in.