Eleven: Empty Sorrow

I didn't bother putting my boots back on, I simply walked back to the oasis with them in hand. We were all somber, trying to shake the ghosts of our past as we silently trailed behind Kai. But more than the ghosts we left behind, the sorrow seemed to come from another place, a lingering effect of the Mist walker. At least we were able to find our trail back, since the stars above were still veiled in settling dust.

The oasis was a welcome sight. Puko was already recovered from his fright, and the first thing he did when I returned was to come inspect me. He landed on my shoulder and pulled at my hair in the same way he preened his feathers.

"Caw!"

I shook my head and he stopped tugging at my hair, flying over to inspect Nassir next. Schula reached out and took my hand, a welcome coolness of her touch and I gave her a strained smile.

"Come on, food will do you all some good." Kai urged us to sit around the stew he had made, which by now was well done and cooling off since the fire had long since gone out. My mouth dried, I didn't particularly feel like eating anything but it would probably be best to listen to Kai.

"So, that was the Mist walker," Kai sighed. "I wondered how much truth there was to her story."

"Why..." I swallowed, my throat tight. "Why didn't she ensnare you in her trap?"

Kai sat down, beginning to ladle out food while he mulled it over. "Maybe she was occupied with you three, maybe there wasn't a ghost to taunt me with. I've come to peace with my dead loved ones a long time ago."

I hung my head. I thought I had come to peace with Bryn but I probably hadn't. Not really.

After our food was handed out, Kai dug through his bag and pulled out a jar of seeds. I ate slowly, forcing it down as I watched Kai work. "What are you doing?"

Kai looked up at me as he moved the cooking pot off the fire and poured some of the seeds in it, building the flame back up. "This is a special smoke, a present from a shaman I know. Breathe it in and let all your sad out to lift the bad aoyi'ka magic.

I raised my eyebrows and looked down into the fire where Kai sprinkled the seed-like things. The smoke darkened in color and smelled slightly sweet. When he was done, Kai wiped the dust from his hands and looked at the three of us. "Go on, talk it all out. Grieve, but let go when you're done."

I shivered as I sensed a light touch of magic in the smoke. It didn't seem very forceful and it didn't seem to have any sort of intent. It was just... there.

"I'm sorry, Nassir," Schula whispered. I looked over at them as Schula reached over and rubbed his back in slow circles with her hand. 

Nassir sighed and smiled. "I suppose you can't get over a loss like that so easily."

My chest hurt. My mother. I felt endlessly guilty that something in me made the Mist walker show me Bryn over my mother. It was frustrating, I wasn't sure if I should be upset or not, or if the Mist walker simply chose a good candidate at random to ensnare me with. 

"Do you miss him?" Schula asked softly. I looked up to answer, but I was surprised to see she was still addressing Nassir.

"Sometimes. It gets easier with the distance," Nassir said. 

I bit my tongue, ashamed. Nassir had lost everything. Part of his triquetram was dead, and the other part hated him and wanted to keep him trapped. Schula, bless her, reached over and held my hand.

"And you, Wren. Was that Bryn?" She gave me an encouraging smile.

I nodded. "Yeah, that was him."