Thirty Six: The Mother's Healers

Purda read my lips.

"I accept."

And her wrinkled face spread into a grim mask. She nodded.

All the while, the crowd had exploded in sound. Arguing. Joy. Shouting. Alarm. Surprise. 

A weathered hand grabbed my arm and I paid Mila my full attention. I couldn't hear her over the crowd but her intent was pretty clear.

"Go!" I could barely hear Noda, who had turned to us as well. "I'll settle them down. Go with Purda for now."

Mila pulled me toward Purda, and then the three of us walked off as fast as Purda's old bones could go toward her cabin, which was closest. Eyes definitely followed us, and more than a few familiars tried to tag along to eavesdrop. Mila sent them running back to their masters and eventually we made it to Purda's door in peace.

"You just had to raise a ruckus," Mila snapped at Purda, but she was fighting to keep a grin off her face.

Purda shrugged. "Isn't that what they've wanted me to do for all these years?"

Mila laughed. Actually laughed. My eyes were about to pop out of my head, and I leaned against the wall to stay upright. Puko was still on my shoulder, he hadn't left my side. But now he flapped away, going to set on the back of a chair. Purda watched him, then walked over to take an empty seat at the table. 

"You should explain things to her properly," Mila said. 

Purda waved a hand. "I will. Just let me catch my breath first."

A knock at the door had us all turning our heads. 

"It's Schula and Nassir," I said, having felt them coming only a moment before they reached the door."

Purda nodded. "They can come in."

Mila opened it for them.

"What's all this about?" Schula asked, concern written on her face as her eyes bounced from me, to Purda and back again.

Purda raised a hand, still breathing a little hard from her rushed walk. "Settle in and you can hear it when I tell Wren."

Schula looked up to Nassir, and he just placed his hands on her shoulders and steered her to a corner where a couple empty stools sat. "We will be as bugs in the grass. Pay us no attention."

"But-" Schula started.

"Bugs in the grass, Schula. We are not of their people, we are guests in this valley." Nassir sat down and gestured for Schula to do the same. She finally made a bit of a pouting face and sat.

"A marvel, to be so old yet your youth never leaves you," Mila sighed.

Purda chuckled at her words. "The nature of the fae will forever be a rolling tide of emotion."

"That it is." Nassir grinned. 

"Wren," Purda said, capturing my attention with a more serious tone. "Do you know what my role among the witches is?"

I swallowed and nodded. "You are regarded as the most knowledgeable healer. The one that is tasked with ensuring enough new healers are trained, and to preserve the knowledge of all the healing arts of the witches before us."

"And I am one of the few roles that must ensure a line of succession," Purda finished. "Wren, I should be taking on apprentices. They have been on me for years to name one. But few stand out as both powerful healers and capable leaders."

"But, you named me," I said. "Even though I'm so new to it."

"If I died tomorrow, you would do. Untrained as you are, I believe you are smart enough to figure it out, if need be. However, I don't believe the Mother will be calling me any time soon. I have time to name other apprentices, replace you as heir. What is most important right now, is that as my heir, you have access to the knowledge that came before us."