Forty One: The Elven Children

I woke up early in an unfamiliar bed. It was a bit uncomfortable to sleep on, it was so decadent. I wasn't happy to realize how large the difference in comfort there was between Mila's bed and the beds in Eidelhein. If I could do something to improve her bed the next time I visited her, I would. For now, I simply woke up, unhappy at the early hour but unable to get any more sleep.

I yawned and fumbled with a comb through my hair for a while before giving up. I twisted it into the only knot I really knew how to arrange on my head without it coming undone in an hour or two, and then I slipped into my clothes. I pulled the cloak Teyber still hadn't taken back yet over my shoulders, and slipped out the door to my room.

The halls were empty enough. As Teyber had said yesterday, no servants were wandering in the hall near Kalor's quarters. But I did spot a few sleepy servants performing late night or early morning duties, depending which end of their shift they were on. With the cloak pulled over my head, I walked through the halls without any notice. It would seem these cloaked people were welcome or at least not unusual to see in the keep.

I found the doors we had come through with ease. But then, there weren't many turns to remember from Kalor's halls to the entrance. 

I stepped into warm night air. A light breeze rustled across the plateau and stirred the surface of the lake. I looked up toward the roof of the hold I had just stepped out of, looking for signs of a certain raven.

"Puko?" I called. 

A couple heads turned to me as I called out. I blushed and pulled at my hood, making sure my face was covered since it seemed to be important. I walked farther away from the door and into the peaceful trees that edged it. 

"Puko?" I hissed skyward. This time I was rewarded with the flapping of black wings. Puko descended from the taller trees near the roof line, landing on my shoulder. 

I laughed and reached up to stroke his head feathers. He was munching on something I couldn't tell what it was.

"Have you settled in well then?" I asked. "I don't have a window I'm afraid. I'm in the middle of the building on the bottom floor."

"Caw!" Puko flapped a bit, and pecked at my earlobe. 

"Ouch! Puko, calm down. Yes, I brought you a treat." I pulled the cherry from my pocket and handed it over. "Greedy."

Puko scarfed it down and I began walking slowly between the trees. 

"I think you've been here before," I said, mostly to myself. "I wish you could show me around."

I walked around the outside of the keep, not wanting to stray too far. The trees were tall and old, beautiful and gnarled as they twisted around each other, fighting for a spot in the sunlight high above. It was a wonder to see, and as some of the sunlight began filtering from the east, I realized I had been wandering for some time and should probably head back in. 

I turned around to walk back the way I had come, and was surprised to see someone was watching me. 

"Woah!" I jumped back, startling Puko and sending him flapping into the trees again. 

The girl who had first pointed her weapon at me on the forest floor yesterday stood a distance away, leaning against a tree and eating an apple. 

"How did you sneak up on me?" I asked, narrowing my eyes. "And... why?"

Crunch. She took a bite of her fruit and chewed it slowly, looking me up and down. I waited patiently for her to assess whatever it was she was looking at, and swallow her bite. 

"You're an odd one," she said, and took another bite. As if that answered any of my questions.

"You're Liana, right?" I asked.