24. AGAIN

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* moonlight *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

🌻⛅🖤

you are my moonlight

REAL LIFE !

Pete's second film was what caused probably another bumpy moment in their relationship. While Anna stayed at their home, driving a half hour route to and from the studio finishing her new album that will be released soon, Pete was off in Europe filming proudly. And it was great, she was thrilled for him and he was doing what he loved the most with the utmost passion. Until he forgot to text and call her, breaking their pact of checking in on each other at least once a day.

It started off simple, really. It only took one day for him to break the streak. Anna had sent in a 'goodnight' text to which he would've probably said 'good morning' due to the time differences, but after hours of not getting a reply back, Anna felt uneasy. It wasn't because she didn't trust him, but rather she was worried if anything serious had happened to him and knowing that she couldn't be by his side in an instant made her agitated. She put it off to the back of her mind because even though it was highly unlikely for Pete to miss a day, it can happen to anyone. Maybe something unexpected change in his schedule, she thought.

The next time it happened their video call got cut short. Usually, it would be the internet connection cracking their voices, making it unable for either of them to decipher each others' words, but this time was different. While Anna was ranting on about an intern accidentally spilling coffee on the soundboard, Pete would only nod along and respond during the appropriate moments. Anna could tell that his attention wasn't focused on her since he kept looking at something behind his laptop, but she was too busy trying to get every detail in the story correct. Her eyes would watch his face through the screen, seeing his hazy eyes eyeing something behind the screen. She wished that Pete would have decided to pay attention to her because she didn't have an ounce in her body to question him over something so silly. But when he said "mhm" at an unusual spot in her sentence, Anna couldn't help it anymore.

"Okay Pete, what's going on? Is there something more interesting going on behind the laptop?" she jokes slightly, more curious if anything.

"W-wha-? Nothing, nothing love" He shifts his eyes to her figure on the screen of his computer. "Continue what you were saying,"

Anna picked up her story from where she left off, glad that she finally had Pete's attention back on her. When her eyes caught his figure on the screen again, she couldn't help but let her voice waver. It was obvious that he wasn't interested in her story so she decided to ask about his day.

He blinks twice before clearing his throat, looking discombobulated from a simple question.

"It was f-fine. How's yours?" He gulped thickly.

"It was good the usual. I went grocery shopp-," she paused when he interrupted her.

"Oh wow"

She furrowed her eyebrows, starting to get really confused at his behavior.

"Okay, that's it. What's going on, babe?" Anna questions him, her voice sturdy and broad wanting to get answers from his strange behavior.

"Nothing, nothing! I gotta go though," He scratched the back of his neck; a nervous habit. "I'll call you tonight."

His large hand reached over to close his laptop, not fully closing the device but enough for Pete to think that the call had ended.

Anna stares at the keys illuminated by the brightness of the screen, astounded by what had just happened. He didn't even say 'I love you'. His laptop had shuffled some against the surface of the bed, making static sounds blast through her headphones. She was about to pull one bud out of her ear, envisioning a mental check-list for the errands she had to do today.

That was when she heard it. It was faint at first, so quiet that she had to pop the bud back in, straining her ears to pick up the familiar sound of Pete's groan. Her brows lift some, wondering if he was pleasuring himself because the noise was something that she had embedded in her mind; it wasn't hard to distinguish. She turned up the volume, high enough so that the next time his lips parted, she didn't have to try hard to hear it. But this time was different.

This time, it was accompanied by another moan—higher pitched than his and it was definitely a woman. Anna wasn't stupid, she knew that. What confused her more was who it was and why they were making those noises. Somewhere, after a time of dumbfounded-ness, she found herself gasping, hands shooting up to cover her mouth. Her heart pounded against her rib cage, unable to accept a truth that she had conjured up. Could he be cheating?

"No, no. He wouldn't do that again. He loves me" she mutters as quietly as possible as to not have Pete and his lady-friend hear her. Frankly, it would be a miracle if they had considering that they were obviously preoccupied with their actions.

Anna didn't know why but she listened until the expanse of the scene ended when she should've ended the call right then and there or maybe made her presence known. She stayed in the call even after the laptop was–assuming–kicked off the bed due to their rough actions. She could hear every moan of pleasure transmit through the speakers of the laptop to her earphones, like nails on a chalkboard.

Tears welled up in her eyes, there was no denying the truth. Even though she couldn't see it, hearing it was enough evidence that he was unfaithful. He couldn't deny it no matter how hard he tried, Anna knows, knew, Pete and his persistent nature. He would do anything to get her to believe him and usually, she would, but this time is off beyond his expertise. She had proof right in front of her and so what if she wants to deny the truth at first? Doesn't everybody go through that? She wasn't at all prepared by something like this sneaking up and hitting her straight in the face; nothing could've foreshadowed this for her.

Anna could feel her heartbreaking each time they both gasped for air, further emphasizing the fact that they were enjoying this–how he was consciously destroying their relationship–and metaphorically meaning that they left each other breathless. Her ears bled, hands twitching to snatch the buds off of her ears trying to mute the sound but also being too frozen, too pained, too hurt to do anything except listen. Listen as Pete pants another woman's name under his breath instead of hers. Listen as he released tortured moans at a time as if he couldn't be any closer to her. And even when the signal roughed up some, the transmission still being well enough that Anna could her Pete declare a statement he should've only given to her.

"I love you" his voice was quiet and muffled but hearing it felt like he was shouting to Anna.

Pete and the woman reached their peak and Anna was in tears. Cheeks were red and wet with an emotional outpouring that she didn't expect to have today. Her chin dribbling some from the amount she had released. What was she to do now? Her brain alarmed her fight-or-flight response when she saw Pete's laptop camera move some, indicating that he had picked it up from the ground. She ended the call just before he could open it fully and tossed it across the room causing it to break in pieces.

-A🖤
and i oop....