Chapter 5

The following morning Sofia woke up with Ruby standing over her. "Jesus," Sofia jumped up from her sleeping position. "What is wrong with you?"

"I danced with Olivia last night," Ruby smiled sitting on the bed. "And I think it went well. Now, today is Halloween, so I have to step up my game."

Sofia rubbed the sleep from her eyes and began processing her brother's words. She was happy that her brother was coming out of his comfort zone, but she didn't need to be woken up from her sleep. "I am happy for you, but couldn't this wait till later?"

"No," Ruby snapped, "no. I am coming up with a plan, and I need your help."

"My help," Sofia was confused about why he needed her help. Ruby had three very close friends he could rely on that weren't her. "Why do you need my help?"

Ruby rolled his eyes, "because Olivia has been eyeing the other players. Monse and Jamal are hopeless wingmen, which is why I need you."

"You need me," she smiled. Sofia was happy that her younger brother needed her help.

"Don't let it go to your head."

Sofia's smile fell, "okay, fine. What do you need my help with?"

"I need you to go buy decorations for the shut-in this year," Ruby began his plan. "Not overly scary, but just right. Also, buy a costume you're repetitive cat costume won't work this year."

"What's wrong with my cat costume," Sofia asked slightly hurt by Ruby's comment. She had worn that costume for the last three Halloweens and didn't have an issue with it.

"It's tacky, slightly dated," Ruby shrugged. "Also, plan to pick us up a pizza."

Sofia blinked at her younger brother. She couldn't believe all the demands he was giving her. In the past, Sofia had spent her Halloweens with Mario, but this year would be her first without him. She planned to take the twins to a friend's house; however, that seemed to change. "Anything else?"

Ruby thought for a moment, "would it be too obvious if I had her and I sit on the love seat together."

"No," Sofia smiled, "it wouldn't."

"Great," Ruby pushed himself off the bed. "Monse and Jamal can sit on the other couch."

"Seems like you have this all planned out," Sofia laughed at her brother's enthusiasm.

"Of course, I've been planning this all night," Ruby put his hand on his hip. "Please have this all set up by the time we return from school."

Sofia nodded, "of course." She was happy that today was a teacher's workday at her college. "You will not be disappointed."

"I know, and I left a list of snacks to buy on the counter," with that, Ruby was walking out of the room. Sofia sat on her bed for a moment longer before swinging her legs over the side. She was going to set up the house for Ruby, and she wasn't going to fail.

~~~~~~~

Sofia made a small stop at the convenience store down the street. She planned on buying any snacks, drinks, and candy Ruby had asked for there because it was cheaper. If Sofia was going to be buying food, a costume, and decorations with what little money Ruby gave her, then she was going to have to be cheap. She started with the snacks, grabbing two bags of chips before moving to the candy aisle. Sofia's eyes scanned the small row of candy bags trying to figure out which one to get. Ruby hadn't asked for a specific kind of candy, only that he wanted a single bag's worth. "I would go with the chocolate," a voice spoke from behind Sofia. The young girl gasped jumping forward. Her head quickly turned in the direction of the voice, and her eyes landed on Oscar.