Chapter LIV

"He called me last night. I mean Anya. He wanted to talk to me." Samar sat down and flipped a pen in his hand. "He sounded decent. As if he was normal. It is frightening. What is he thinking?"

"Maybe something good. He might have realised his mistake."

"I do not know that. You think he is capable of realising his mistakes?"

"I think he is capable of a lot of things. Positive and negative, both."

"What if it's negative this time?"

"What if it's positive this time?"

She raised her eyebrows before leaning back in her chair. "I am ready for whatever he does. At least I think that I am. We will know when the time comes."

"We will. What brought you here today? When will you start taking appointment here?"

"Family needs no appointment. You were talking to her yesterday. Did you tell her? She didn't say me what you two talked about. She is surprisingly very private."

"That makes me feel good. I talked to her. Let's see how that works out."

Dia smiled widely. "You really know how to make me happy! I will convince her to say no. I mean yes! What was that?"

Samar smiled. "Do no such thing. I want her to say yes on her own not because someone convinced her."

"We can always guide! But she will say yes. I am sure. She is wise. I am really going to miss her."

"Where are you going?"

"I am meeting a lawyer soon. Before doing that I want to meet my parents. It's all going to change. We were inseparable once and then we drifted apart. What if that happens again?"

"Don't let it happen this time. You hold her hand tight so it becomes difficult for her to leave."

"I can do that. But still. Who knows what will happen? I will miss her so much. What will I do without her?"

"You are not going anywhere now. So don't start worrying today. Worry when the time comes. Why ruin a day which can be beautiful?"

"Hm."

Samar smiled when he remembered something. "You remember you asked me what the moon that is seen before sunset or after sunrise represents? That's an old friend of darkness. When the sun rises and it's bright and shiny, it comes to meet darkness. To show her he is still there, that she is not alone and that he is always there. That's Anya. She will always be there, visible and proud of you." She smiled before raising her eyebrows for a moment. "So do not worry."

She smiled again. "OK. But I will miss you. Why don't you want me to keep coming here?"

"Because you don't need me."

"That is not true. Not at all. But let's not talk about it. Talk about something good."

"OK. Which lawyer are you going to hire? Do you know someone?"

"Anya di's cousin from the other side, she is a lawyer."

"Tina."

She raised her left eyebrow, "You know everyone."

"She was a regular in her house until she got married."

Dia smiled as she got ready to tease. That day they talked about a lot of things future, fear, family, danger and escape. As expected it gave Dia some courage. The next day she met her parents. They were filled with happiness, relief and guilt. The meeting made them forget all the sad memories. Their mind had only one thought, how they would handle the war which was about to begin. They had nothing no money, no connections but they had strength and will.