Chapter XLVIII

The new moon night was dark as it ought to be. Darker was the room Anya was in. She tossed and turned but could not be satisfied. Then she opened her eyes for a brief moment before closing it again. She stretched her arms and legs before groaning softly. Her hands, unlike usual, could be stretched as far as she wished to. Turning to her right, she curled like a foetus, intending to go back to sleep. A sense of unfamiliarity made her open her eyes and look around. After some seconds of observation, her mind could capture where she was. Bolting up she looked around once again. Having lived in that house for years she knew where the wall clock was. Darkness prevented her from knowing the time hence depriving her of doing anything further. She could locate the centre table in the darkness. She moved her hands over it. There were a few things on it but nothing of her benefit. Giving up on the table she widened her eyes. She saw a bag on the chair. Getting up with a jerk gave her a headrush. She ran her fingers through the handle of the bag. It was her bag. It had everything but what she was looking for. Disappointed again, she walked to the switchboard. She wished to refrain from switching on the lights, and she was in luck as she saw her phone on the table below the switchboard.

Troubled by the sudden brightness she closed her eyes while walking back to the sofa she had been sleeping for the whole night. First thing after settling down was to check the time. It was three in the morning. Next, she checked her messages. Dia had messaged her a couple of times, all regarding where she was. Himani had messaged her regarding the same, and surprisingly Ali did too. Not wasting any time she called her cousin. She did not answer the first time nor did she for the next four times. Giving up on her she dialled Ali's number. After dialling the number she felt guilty for disturbing him in the middle of his sleep. She felt worse when he answered the call.

"Hello?" Ali said in a deep voice.

"Sorry. Any Idea how my cousin is?"

"Any idea what the time is?"

"I should have not called. Why did everyone message me asking my whereabouts?"

"You were missing. When you did not reach home till ten-thirty, your sister called my sister to inquire. I didn't know so I called Himani and she was clueless too. We all kept calling you but you were not answering."

"I slept before eight I guess."

"Yeah. Your mother answered Himani's call after half an hour or maybe an hour. She told us you slept as soon as you got home. Kumbkaran."

"Did you all tell Dia?"

"Khadijah did."

"Was she scared or worried? She has never been alone before."

"I have no idea."

"How can you not have any idea? Didn't you feel the need to see if she was fine?"

"I am sorry for not being a pervert who keeps information about a woman he has no connect to."

"Did she sleep?"

Ali exhaled deeply. "Talk to Khadijah."

"Hello?" Khadijah said softly.

"Did I wake you?"

"Anya di? No. I was going to the kitchen to get some water when I heard his voice. What happened?"

"Was Dia fine when you last talked to her? She has never been alone before."

"She told me that. She is fine. She was worried for some time but then managed to get distracted and eventually slept."

"So she is sleeping?"

"I didn't get a message so I assume, yes."

"Thank you for being there for her."

"Don't worry about that. Go back to sleep. She is fine."