Chapter XXIV

I hope you all enjoy this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Samar smiled widely but Dia was sitting like a statue. “How are you?” He initiated the conversation. She blinked. He crossed his arms. He decided not to say a word, hence forcing her to reply. One minute passed by and no one said a word. Two minutes and silence continued. Three minutes and Dia started feeling awkward. Four minutes and Samar thought I can do this all day. Five minutes and Dia was praying for him to say a word. Six minutes and Samar was humming a song in his head. Seven minutes and Dia had it all. “You were wrong!”

“OK. When?”

“Yesterday. You made it seem like it is so easy to do anything. It is not!”

“I do not think I said it is easy.”

“You made it seem like it is. Just because I want something I do not get it. I want peace, I did not get it! It is difficult to get what you want.”

“So?”

Dia opened her mouth but said nothing. She blinked before saying, “That is what I wanted to say.”

Samar smiled. “I am glad you said. But.” She looked at him. “It is difficult. Everything is difficult. It was difficult to learn walking, but you can walk today, right? It does not matter if it is hard or easy. What matters is what you do. How you do.”

“What can I do?”

“A lot of things. But first and foremost, believe in yourself. Unless and until you believe that you can, you cannot.” Dia bowed her head. Last evening when she called Anya she was angry. That was because she thought Samar made her believe in something that is fictitious. She was still angry, but what Samar said made her think. Yesterday, After meeting Samar she felt at ease, but when she realised it was not as easy as he said, she was once again feeling agitated. But now, meeting him again, calmed her down. Samar smiled once again. “I am sorry that I was late today. A bird entered my room through the window and then refused to leave.” Dia nodded her head once. “So, what are we going to talk about today?” Samar again went quiet, forcing Dia to speak. She waited for a minute before looking up at him. He did not look like he would give up. So, she slowly shook her head, indicating that she does not know what to talk about. “Hmm.” he thought for a moment before saying, “How about birds?” Dia looked at him as she did not understand what he meant. “What do you think about them? Do you feel sorry for them, too?” She immediately shook her head. “Then tell me what do you think about birds? In general.”

“I never thought about it,” Dia whispered after being quiet for some time.

“OK.” He shook his head a couple of times. “Do you think it is unfair that birds have to leave early in the morning to search for food for themselves and their children?” She shook her head almost immediately. “That’s pretty much like humans. We all leave our precious bed to feed ourselves and our children.”

“You have children?”

“I wish to get married first.”

“You are not married?”

Samar smiled. “No.”

“Oh.”

“Usually after hearing my age people go like, ‘you have a good job, you look fine then how come you are not married yet?‘ and all I do is smile.”

“You should never get married because of job or looks or both of them! That’s a trap. Stay away from that!”

“I think I am doing a good job in staying away.”