Chapter XXVIII

“Why did I agree to come? Why is it that Anya di never listens to me? She never understands. I did not want to come. But she always forces me. It’s all my fault. Why do I let her do that? Why didn’t I say her no and made it clear? But I am too scared of that. She might get angry” Dia sighed before closing her eyes. After a few seconds, she opened it and looked around her. On the far right was the guy who was in her college. He was typing furiously on his phone. Next to him was Khadijah's brother. He was eating a burger. He seemed to enjoy it. It must be yummy, Dia thought. She was hungry and wanted to eat something but her face was covered with a niqab and she was terrified to move it. Next to him was Khadijah. She was talking about something. She had a smile on her face as usual. The person she was talking to was Anya's friend who was sitting between her and Khadijah. She wished Khadijah was next to her. Then to her left was Anya. She was arguing about something or maybe she was angry. Dia could not tell. And the last one on their table was her, Dia narrowed her eyes. Physiatrist? She looked up.  Therapist? Counsellor? Psychic? Dia leaned a little forward to look at him. He was talking to Anya. Dia widened her eyes. I don’t know his name, she said to herself before pressing her lips together. She slowly looked at Samar again. This time she realised Samar and Anya were having an argument.

“No, that is not what happened!” Anya protested.

“That is exactly what happened,” Samar said.

“No!” Anya said before crossing her arms.

“That is what happened Anya,”  Kabir said who was still typing furiously. .

“Anya,” Ali said before picking up his burger. “It’s always fun to know about your childhood.”

“Maybe we should talk about your childhood.” Khadijah teased her brother.

“Oh, that would be great,” Himani said instantly.

“Why do you hate me so much?” Ali asked with his eyes narrowed.

“What did he do?” Himani asked Khadijah.

“He ate rat poison thinking it’s chocolate.”

Everyone laughed while Anya shook her head. “Why am I not shocked?” She asked.

“He has done a lot of things. He once left the house without telling anyone to bring our father back from the office. He was just four. Thankfully our neighbour saw him on the road. She didn’t let him go but he was adamant and didn’t come home either.”

“You are such a joker,” Kabir said still typing.

“Who are you talking to?” Samar asked before taking the phone from his hand. 

“Bhai!”

Samar raised his eyebrows. “Natasha.”

“Woah.” Himani teased.

“Who is Natasha?”  Anya inquired.

“The one you met for the purpose of marriage?” Ali asked.

“What?” Anya and Himani said together.

“What is happening?” Anya demanded.

“Nothing.” He said before taking the phone from his brother.

“Are you now madly in love?” Ali asked.

“Kabir!” Anya exclaimed.

“Calm down. I am just helping her with something.”

“Helping her fall in love with him,” Ali said instantly.

“Shut up.”

“What are you helping her with?” Samar asked.