Chapter XX

“I just cannot believe she said that,” Anya said as she shook her head.

“She is not in the right frame of mind.” Himani tried to reason.

“Don’t be upset.” Kabir wrinkled his nose as he said that.

“I am not upset. I am shocked. I mean.” She frowned “You know what I mean?”

Himani looked at Kabir for an answer, but as usual, his face was blank. “We don’t.” Ali, who was walking towards them said. “What is the topic of discussion?” Himani motioned towards Anya Ali raised his eyebrows and looked at Anya. “What did you do now?”He asked Anya while shaking his head.

She narrowed her eyes. “Why will I do anything?”

“You always do something. Rohit is not always behind you for no reason.” Anya rolled her eyes. “Actually you two are just like each other. Annoying.”

Anya’s nose grew bigger. “Are You really going to compare me with him!?”

“Are you really going to get carried away. Be on the topic for once.” Kabir huffed.

“Yeah. What were you all talking about?” Ali asked Anya.

“Dia,” Himani replied.

“What about her? She liked the kitty party we had yesterday?”

Anya rolled her eyes again. “She hated every minute of it.”

“Really?” Kabir asked instantly.

“She didn’t say that. But she did not like yesterday.”

“Why?” Ali asked casually.

“She felt jealous of me. Us being happy reminded her that she is not. She said my happiness bothered her.” Anya was very careful about the details she shared with her friends. She did not want her friends to have a bad opinion about Dia.

Ali sat next to Kabir before saying, “ouch. That must have hurt.”

“Not really. I am shocked about something else.”

“About what?” Ali asked.

“Growing up I always felt jealous of her. I always wanted her life, her parents, her face, her hair, her perfect weight, her carefree attitude, and what not! And look now. She is jealous of me. I always thought my life was miserable when compared to her.”

“Tables have turned,” Ali said, which made Anya shake her head.  “It happens.” Ali tried to explain. “  What we feel and think now will change in some years and we won’t believe how our lives have changed. If ten years ago someone would have told me I will be happy in the future I would have laughed at their face. “ He smiled. “I think that’s the beauty of life.”

“I never thought this day would come. I thought I will die wishing to live her life. I mean, I thought it was stupid of her to get married so early leaving her dreams and career behind, But soon I started struggling for money and my position in the company. So, I started thinking she was lucky to get married to a rich guy and was living happily. So I always thought her life was perfect.”

“Things change. What is the big deal?” Ali could not stop himself from asking.

“I find it difficult to believe. Things can change so much!?”

“It can. We have a live example in front of us.” Himani said.

“So much? Life is definitely unpredictable.”

“It sure is,” Kabir said after letting out a deep breath. The look on his face said that he had been a victim of life’s unpredictable nature.