Chapter VIII

Anya was on her way home after saying goodbye to the boys.  She still found it difficult to believe that Dia was at her house.  Last night when she saw Dia in her room,  for a moment she thought she was seeing things. It was only after she saw Khadija coming out of the bathroom when she believed her eyes. Khadija told her the whole story as Dia was too scared to talk. Khadija also informed her that Ali was waiting for her on the stairs. Anya first talked to Dia and made sure she was fine, and then she went to meet Ali. 

"Why are you climbing down? " Ali asked Anya while standing up. "You are suppose to climb up.  When did you come home? "

"Fifteen minutes ago. "

"You took the lift to the first floor? " Ali asked with his eyebrows raised.

Anya frowned before sitting down on one of the stairs.  "I pay the maintenance of the building. Why can't I use the services? "

Ali shook his head. "Exactly."

"Thank you. "

Ali shook his head again. "You don't have to say that.  I am glad I could help. "

"Your phone. " Anya gave him his phone back.

"Why didn't you pick up the call? "

"I did not realise it was vibrating. "

"Oh. Did you see how many times I called you? "

"Too many.  I really wanted to slap you when I saw it in the train. "

"You saw it before coming home?  Why didn't you call me back then. "

"Because my mind was already messed up and I did not want to deal with you. " Ali narrowed his eyes. "I thought you wanted your phone back that's why you kept calling.  I did not think it would be something like this. "

"You should have called. It was difficult to convince Dia to come here. "

"I am sorry for that. Why are you here and not at home? "

"I find it uncomfortable to be in someone's house without them and that too in a girl's house?  No please. I am happy out here."

Anya closed her eyes when she remembered what Ali had said.  She scolded Ali for entering her house when he didn't even enter her house.  "This is why you are always sad.  You make others sad. " Anya scolded herself.  As the days were passing she was getting more and more disappointed. She found a reason to criticise herself everyday. It was becoming more and more difficult for her to be around herself.  She shut her brain and stopped thinking.  For the rest of the journey she looked out of the window. Her mind was thinking about different things but not about the critical situation she was in.  Soon she got off the bus and started walking towards her building. The closer she got, the more uneasy She felt. She didn't want to be in that situation.  She didn't know how she would console Dia.  And tears in Dia's eyes were not making the situation better.  Anya didn't know how to be there for Dia so she ran from her house early in the morning.  She forced Ali and Kabir to join her. She wished she could roam around for some more time, but she didn't have a choice.  Before she knew she was standing in front of her door. She took a deep breath before opening the door.  She was in a bad mood,  but she knew Dia's mood wasn't any better.  In fact she was sure Dia was in a worse state than her.  She smiled before entering the house. She didn't want Dia to know she was upset and wanted to go in with a cheerful mood.  She closed the door behind her when she saw her cousin was not in the living room.

"Dia? "

Anya looked in the room which was next to the living room,  but it was empty.  She crossed the living room and went to the kitchen which was empty too.  She checked the bathroom which was empty before she started walking towards her room.  The door was closed so Anya knocked the door and waited for some time.  But there was no sign of anyone being inside.  Anya slowly opened the door and went inside.