Chapter I

It was a quiet afternoon, with some or no movement in the air, making it a slow day. There were scarcely any movements on the ground too. Everything and everyone appeared stagnant. However, inside a Mall, things were different. The atmosphere had more energy as there were many people, all talking, some eating and some celebrating. It did not resemble the world outside those walls.

"No, that is not what I meant," Anya said as she started walking, with a frown on her forehead. "No! I want all the paperwork done by five, today. " She took the coffee that was ready on the counter and said thank you then turning around she started walking towards the sitting area, again. She was working on a presentation which was to be presented in a few hours. She did not have much time in hand and her surroundings were not helping her mainly because she was guilty of being late which resulted in her leaving the office and coming to a nearby mall. "You don't have much time. I want it for five. Five! "

"I heard you the first time, Anya," Her colleague, Ali said.

"Then stop wasting time and start working! We do not have time. We need to do this and we will do this."

"Do not worry. I am working on it. We all are. But I have a question to ask. "

"Go ahead, I am listening. "

"If I compete for all the work on time and the meeting goes well. Then." he paused for a moment before continuing, "can I take a leave tomorrow? "

"I guess you can. You don't have to ask me. I am not your boss nor HR. But why do you need a leave? "

"A new mystery slash thriller series is releasing tomorrow and I want to see it! " Anya closed her eyes as she stopped in her tracks, "plus, I bought a new mystery book on my way to office today, and to really want to read it. "

"Ali, " she said calmly.

"Yes? "

"We are running late and you think this is an important topic to discuss? "

"Mystery is the most important topic, Anya. There is nothing called life without mystery. "

"Ali! "

"And that's the cue. See you soon. Have a nice time at the mall. Bye, bye."

She sat on a chair as she disconnected the call. Her laptop, her wristwatch and few files where all scattered on the table leaving no room for her coffee, which she later placed on the chair next to her. Soon she was typing furiously on her laptop, trying her best to complete the presentation while frequently reminding herself to not subside the quality of the presentation.

"What are you doing? Don't do it like that." A man's penetrating voice caught her attention. Soon after that, a woman apologised him.

"Sorry," he mocked her, "you are embarrassing me. How do you not know how to use a fork?"

"Sorry."

"Eat fast. We have a long journey ahead. We do not have time for you to waste."

"Jerk," Anya could not stop herself from whispering which they heard clearly.

"Excuse me? " She ignored him and kept typing as she did not have time for an argument. "You are a very rude woman."

She chuckled, "I am sure I am."

"Stand up. We will not sit next to her," he ordered. The lady who Anya assumed was his wife stood up almost immediately and soon they were out of Anya's sight. Rolling her eyes she resumed her work. Nearly an hour after that incident she took a deep breath. Her presentation was ready and there was another hour in her hand. She closed her eyes to give them some rested which did not last for more than a minute as her phone started ringing and she was compelled to answer.