"Melanie, please listen"

I snapped my head to the doorway, biting back the tears."Please" He came up close, placing his hands on my shoulders. I didn't shrug them off. I just looked into his eyes with my tear-filled ones, hoping he would say that this was all a really shitty joke. But deep down, I knew it wasn't.

"You can't say anything that could change what happened tonight" I whispered, my voice weak and vulnerable.

"I can" He assured me, pulling me even closer."I just can't say it...right now. I need some time, to sort things out" He stared into my eyes, trying to persuade me.

I shrugged out of his grip, feeling my heart drop at his words."No, Ethan. You can't fix this. I won't be able to...I won't be okay with this" I cried out.

"Melanie, don't say that" He refused, his eyes filling with tears. I watched him trying to fight his emotions. What was this?  What were we doing? It's not like we mean anything to each other.

I shook my head, disappointment radiating off of me."This is it, Ethan. I'm just going to forget ever knowing you" I nodded, biting my lip to fight back the tears.

"Just trust me" He begged as I shook my head repeatedly. With that, I rushed into the closet. Tears poured from my eyes as I locked the door, ignoring Ethan's voice on the other side.

I plopped down on the floor, feeling the walls close in on me. You're just like your psychotic mother. You got involved with a drug dealer, just like she did. You really think you're better than her? You're not better than her. You're worse! She never had feelings for a drug dealer, but look at you...tearing at the seams because of him! You're pathetic.

I shook my head, violently trying to get the voice out of my head. I cried out, weakly. My entire body started to tremble but I felt numb, as if I was taking every punch I had in my life, all over again.

"Let me in!" Ethan's fists pounded on the door, desperately.

I howled, grabbing a backpack to pack my stuff. Ignoring Ethan's constant shouting, I shoved my clothes into the bag. I guess this is it. Back to being old Melanie. It was nice while it lasted. Being a somewhat normal teen with a stupid crush and actual friends was nice. But that wasn't my life.

"Melanie if you don't open the door, I'll knock it down!"

I scoffed, shoving the last of my clothes in the backpack and throwing it over my shoulder.

"Melanie, you've got go trust me" Ethan's voice got louder as I neared the door."I would never do this...if I had a choice. I would never hurt you" He continued, getting more vulnerable by the second. I swung the door open, coming face to face with him. He eyed the backpack, sadly.

"But you did" I snapped, pushing him aside and rushing out the door. I hurried down the stairs, desperate to get away from him. Far, far away.

"Dom's beautiful daughter...what a pleasant encounter"

I came face to face with the familiar voice, at the bottom of the staircase. The weird guy from the grocery store was standing there, smirking right at me."Yeah, and?" I raised an eyebrow, my voice laced with venom. Sorry, dickhead, not the best timing for your small talk.

"Wow," He nodded, looking impressed."More guts than your father ever had, that's for sure. But if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't be so quick with the attitude" He tilted his head to the side, a glint of intoxication in his eyes. I scoffed in his face, any trace of fear vanishing from me. This wasn't the first time a drunk man tried to threaten me. Been there, done that.