Eye of The Beholder What-If

A/N: Before I say anything, I wanna point something out. In 'Dawn of The Dragon Racers' Astrid says 

"Red is your colour." To Hiccup and Toothless, but she says that it was meant for Toothless. Hiccup looks down, disappointed. (SO SAD ;~;) But, in his clothing, you can see his tunic is green, with the brown leather on top. Then, in rtte - which is after DOTDR - Hiccup changes his tunic to red. HE TOOK IN ASTRID'S COMMENT OMTTTTTTT

Am I overreacting? Probably.

Anyway, now I forgot what this one-shot was. Now, while I'm watching rtte, I remember.

###

Age: 17-18 (rtte season 1)

Couples: None

Place: Berk

Summary: What if Stoick and Hiccup were never interrupted by the nuts? Their talk about Hiccup's future.

###

Hiccup walked into his hut, to see his Dad eating lunch.

"Hiccup! What are you doing home so early?" Stoick cried, pleased to see his son.

"Oh, I just... wanted to spend some time with my dear old dad. Yeah, you know, we never get to talk anymore. So..." He trailed off, you know, Hiccup not doing so well under pressure...

 "Alright. What is it?" Stoick accused.

"What's what?" Hiccup scoffed, leaning against the wall.

"What is it?" The Chief pressed forward, knowing something wasn't right.

 "Can't a son spend some quality time with his family?" Hiccup smiled his lopsided grin.

 "Not this one. Not usually, at least. So, let's hear it." Stoick continued, sipping his mead. Hiccup finally gave in.

"All right. Did you know Astrid just joined the Berk Guard?" The teenage boy sighed, sitting down by the small table across from his Father.

"I heard that. Good for her." 

"And the other riders have got their different things going on?" Hiccup folded his arms across the table.

"What are you saying, son?" Stoick raised an eyebrow, putting down everything he was holding.

"I'm saying, I don't know. Maybe it's time for me... to..." Hiccup trailed off, not knowing what he was saying himself.

"Are you submitting to Chief training?" Stoick asked, a smile coming onto his face.

"Well... I guess so." Hiccup sighed.

"Son! Oh, I am overjoyed! I have been waiting for this day!" Stoick cried, and those on the other side of the village heard. They all knew straight away Hiccup just resigned to becoming chief. Then, a horn was heard, Traitor Johann. (Yes I put 'Traitor' in there purposefully.)

"What good timing son!" Stoick cried, clapping Hiccup on the back and lifting him up.

"Lesson number 1: Traders!" He cried out once he was making his way down to the docks, Hiccup following behind. Villagers out shopping and walking through town greeted hello's and Good mornings, which Stoick and Hiccup returned in kind. 
Standing by the docks, Hiccup saw Astrid. He was about to run over to her, but Stoick caught him by the back of his shirt.

"Not so fast, son. A Chief must stay focused, and not be distracted by their loved ones." Stoick simply demanded, making Hiccup blush.

"I-I'm not i-in love with A-Astrid!" Hiccup stammered, folding his arms stubbornly.