XXVIX. Bad to the Bone (Part II)

Dean, Gordon, and Holly made their way back to the motel. They sat at a table and discussed the strategy over a map.

Gordon glanced up and said, "This is the best pattern I can establish. It's sketchy at best."

Dean pointed to a spot on the map. "Looks like it's all coming from this side of town. Which means the nest would be around here someplace, right?"

Gordon nodded. "Yep, that's what I'm thinking. Problem is, there's thirty-five, forty farms out there. I've searched about half of them already, but nothing yet. They're covering their tracks real good."

Holly pursed her lips. "Then I suppose we'll have to search the other half."

Dean glanced at his watch and frowned. "What time is it? Where is Sam?"

"Car's parked outside." Gordon noted. "Probably went for a walk. Seems like the take a walk type."

"Yeah, he is, but..."

The door opened and Sam entered. He gave Dean a look and Dean said, "Where have you been?"

"Can I talk to you two alone?" Sam asked.

Dean glanced at Gordon. "You mind chillin' out for a couple minutes?"

The siblings exited the motel room and walked to the parking lot. "Dean, maybe we've got to think this hunt." Sam said.

Dean frowned. "What are you talking about? Where were you?"

"In the nest."

Holly's eyes widened. "You found it?"

Sam shook his head. "They found me, Holly."

"How'd you get out?" Dean wondered. "How many did you kill?"

"None."

"Well, Sam, they didn't just let you go."

"That's exactly what they did."

To say Holly was confused was an understatement. "Where is it, Sammy?" Holly asked.

Sam looked at her. "I was blindfolded. I don't know."

"Well, you've got to know something." Dean said.

"We went over that bridge outside of town, but Dean, listen. Maybe we shouldn't go after them."

"Why not?"

"I don't think they're like other vampires. I don't think they're killing people."

"You're joking. Then how do they stay alive? Or undead, or whatever the hell the are."

Holly squinted before her eyes widened. "The cattle mutilations?"

Sam nodded. "The cattle mutilations. They said they live off of animal blood."

"And you believed them?" Dean scoffed.

"Look at me, Dean. They let me go without a scratch."

"Wait, so you're saying...No, man, no way. I don't know why they let you go. I don't really care. We find 'em, we waste 'em."

"Why?"

"What part of 'vampires' don't you understand, Sam? If it's supernatural, we kill it. End of story. That's our job."

"No, Dean, that is not our job. Our job is hunting evil. And if these things aren't killing people, they're not evil!"

"Of course they're killing people. That's what they do. They're all the same, Sam. They're not human, okay? We have to exterminate every last one of them."