VI. Smoke on the Water

(Image of Holly, age 19, above)

[Though it's not said at all, it was hard on Holly when Sam went off to college. They kept in contact, and she was the only one to do so.]

Present Day (Two weeks before John's disappearance in the Pilot)

Setting: Bozeman, Montana

Date: October 2, 2005

Dean: Age 26 [Height: 6'1]
Sam: Age 22 (At Stanford) [Height: 6'4]
Holly: Age 19 [Height: 5'5]

"Holly! Behind you!" Dean cried, seeing the poltergeist coming dangerously close.

Holly whipped around and shot it.

John nodded. "Not bad, Holly. But you should be more aware of your surroundings. Your brother shouldn't have to tell you to look behind you."

She bit back a retort. "Yes sir."

Dean ruffled her hair. "Cheer up, sis. He'll lay off."

Holly let out a sigh. "I suppose so. Have you called Sam like I suggested?"

Dean looked away hoping Holly didn't see, but she did. "Dean, you didn't! Come on! It's just to check on him!"

"Holly, he won't want to talk to me."

She crossed her arms and stared him down. "How do you know he won't?"

"Because I do."

"Dean, come on. Don't be like that."

"Like what?" Dean asked with his classic smirk.

"Dean, Holly, let's go!" John ordered. "We need to finish this hunt!"

Holly looked up. "We should split up. That way we can cover more ground."

John nodded. "Good idea."

Dean frowned. "That's a terrible idea! If the poltergeist is close, we need to stick together!"

"But we'd cover more ground. Dean, come on. Dad agrees with me."

"Dad agrees with me." Dean mimicked.

John frowned. "That's enough, Dean. We're going to split up. Dean, flank left. Holly, flank right. I'm going straight."

Holly did as her dad instructed and went right. In a soft voice, she called, "Here ghosty, ghosty."

She didn't notice the poltergeist sneaking up behind her. She turned just in time to see the poltergeist in front of her. Holly raised her gun, but it was knocked from her hand. Dean appeared in time to see the poltergeist knock her into a tree.

"No!" He cried, running towards the poltergeist and shooting it.

He knelt beside his sister and brought her to his chest. "Dad!"

John ran up to them. His eyes widened and he asked, "What happened?"

"Ghost. She needs a hospital, Dad. She's losing a lot of blood."

They rushed to the nearest hospital and Dean carried Holly inside.

John said to a nurse, "My daughter's been attacked!"

A gurney was rushed over and Dean laid his sister on it. Almost instantly, the snow white sheets turned crimson. Holly looked so small and Dean bit back a sob.

While he waited for his sister, he pulled out his phone and dialed Sam's number. His thumb hovered over the call button and he closed his phone. Sam didn't need to be burdened with this. Sam had chosen to leave the life. If he wanted back in, he would have told someone.