XXI. Mr. Tambourine Man (Part II)

After John left, Sam, Dean, and Holly were seated in the Impala. The Colt was in the front between the boys. They watched through the window as Monica and her husband finished dinner.

Sam frowned. "Maybe we could tell 'em it was a gas leak. Might get 'em out of the house for a few hours."

Dean glanced at him. "Yeah, and how many times has that actually worked for us?"

"Yeah." He took a moment to think. "We could always tell them the truth."

The siblings looked at each other before saying, "Nah!"

After a moment, Sam said, "I know, I know. I just...with what's coming for these folks..."

Dean turned to his brother. "Sam, we only got one move and you know it, alright? We gotta wait for that demon to show itself and then we get it before it gets them."

"I wonder how Dad's doing."

Holly rested her elbows on the backs of the chairs and put her head forward. "I'd feel a lot better if we were there offering him some backup."

Sam's eyes flicked to her. "I'd feel a lot better if he were here backing us up."

They fell into silence and watched the house.

Eventually, Sam said, "This is weird."

Dean frowned at him. "What?"

"After all of these years, we're finally here. It doesn't seem real."

"We just gotta keep our heads and do our job like always."

"Yeah, but this isn't like always."

"True."

"Dean...ah...I wanna thank you."

"For what?"

"For everything. You've always had mine and Holly's back, you know? Even when I couldn't count on anyone, I could always count on you. And ah...I don't know. I just wanted to let you know, just it case."

Holly narrowed her eyes. "You've got to be kidding me, Sammy."

"What?" Sam asked.

Dean glanced at Holly before saying, "I think what she's trying to say, is don't say just in case something happens to you. We don't wanna hear that freaking speech, man. Nobody's dying tonight. Not us, not that family, nobody. Except that demon. That evil son of a bitch ain't getting any older than tonight. You understand me?"

Dean called John and frowned. "Dad's not answering."

Sam shrugged. "Maybe Meg was late. Maybe cell reception's bad."

"Yeah, well..."

The radio started chattering static and Holly pointed to it. "Boys. Listen."

Sam turned the dial on the radio and heard more static coming and going. The wind started to pick up and the lights in the house started flickering. Dean looked between his siblings.

"It's coming." Sam said.

They jumped out of the car and ran to the house.

Dean used a card to slide the lock on the door open and they silently entered the house. They approached the lounge. Sam was first, followed by Holly, and Dean was confronted by Monica's husband. He swung a bat at Dean's head and missed, smashing a lamp.

"Get out of my house!" Holden cried.

Dean closed in and managed to grab the bat.

"Get out of my house!" Holden cried again.