Pacifica

"Dante would have gone to Pacifica. They know him there. And if he was hurt, injured, in trouble, anybody would help him. We're his family." George said as I sat in the backseat of the truck. "People around here consider him a hero." I heard CZ say. "I believe you. But the longer he stays on the run, the more guilty he seems. And vigilantes don't care if he's innocent." I turned to look back at them from the window. "We'll find him. He's probably waiting for us. We're almost there." George said before I lifted 5k's head off my lap. I slowly moved myself out of the truck and out to them. "I can't wait for you to see Pacifica. It's pretty great. Largest collection of books in the New World." CZ said and I gave a small smile. "Wow. Books. I can't remember the last one I read." Doc said and I turned to him. "I can, about a year ago. Treehouse." I said before doc smiled. I kept looking at him before he frowned and I looked back at the group.

"So what's the population?" Warren asked as I crossed my arms. "65 adults. Six kids. It used to be just twenty of us students." George said. "Everybody gets along. Mostly." CZ said. "Yeah. It's not perfect yet, but we're trying to make it work. I mean everybody's equal. Black, white, gay, straight, Talkers and humans." George said and I turned to look at her. "Nice." I said to her and she nodded. "Who woulda thunk it? The Zompocalypse, nature's great equalizer." Doc said and I nodded at him. "Well, it's not the promised land yet." Warren said before she looked over at something. "What do you see, chief?" Doc asked her. "People running. There." Warren said, I turned to see them running. "I see them!" CZ said. "I think I know them." George said. "Talkers?" Warren asked. "Yeah. Running from something." George said as we all followed after them. "Or someone. All right, Doc, CZ, stay with the truck." Warren said and looked at me. "I'm not leaving the kid right now." I told her and she nodded.

I turned back to the truck and stood by the doors, waiting for Warren and George to come back. CZ and doc were talking and I turned to watch them for a moment. They were smiling and laughing. I reached up and pulled the chain out. I stared down at it for some time, just lost. I heard a sound and looked up, nothing. It happened again and I turned to look inside the truck. 5k was moving around, having a nightmare. I reached down and shook him. His eyes opened and stared up at me. He sat up and quickly hung onto me. "Hey, it's ok. It's ok." I told him. He slowly nodded as he hugged me tighter. "Easy, easy. Everything is going to be ok." I whispered and he slowly let go of me. I smiled at him and he slowly smiled back. I heard movement and turned to see Warren and George coming back with some other people. "Hello Henry." CZ said.

"Wow, look at this. Just what I always thought college would look like." Doc said and I smiled up at his back. 5k walked beside me. "Yeah. Kaya and I checked out all the outposts before we chose Pacifica. We really wanted JZ to go to school." CZ said and I put my hands in my pockets. "So basically we took the south end of campus with the library and the dining hall and made it zombie proof." George said and I looked up at her. "Dining hall?" Doc asked. "Oh, we have an incredible chef." George said. "Hold up. You have a chef? That implies you have food." Doc said and I started to laugh at him. "Chef Amy. She's an amazing chef. But because she's a Talker, she can't eat anything she cooks. Kinda like Beethoven being deaf." CZ said an I nodded. We kept walking and into a building. Henry held the door open. We kept following down the hallway.

"Chef likes to keep a few humans around as tasters. Might be an opening for you, Doc." George said. "Great. I can finally put the munchies to good use. Where do I sign?" Doc asked and I again started to laugh at him. "Here's the dining hall. Come on. I'll introduce you to Chef. Should be busy with the dinner hour." George said, but I didn't hear anything. We walking into the dinning room. There was one person, clearing tables. "Think the maitre d' can seat us?" Doc asked, still looking around. "This place is usually packed." George said. "So, should we be worried?"Warren asked her. "Hey, Phil? Where is everybody?" George asked and he shrugged "Not much of a conversationalist, is he?" Doc asked. "It's odd. Looks like dinner was interrupted. I wonder what's going on." Henry said. "Uh, let's take them to the library. Kaya and JZ will be there." CZ said. "I can't wait to see Kaya in the Sky-a." Warren said. We all started to walk and I saw 5k standing there. I took his hand and pulled him with us.