Chapter 14

My alarm sounds and I groan, that sound means it's time for school. I've been nervous for a lot of things since this move, but today overtrumps them all. I'm going to walk in there knowing nobody, not a single soul. The one person I was relying on is gone and my nerves are through the roof, not only for school but to see him again. I wonder if he'll talk to me or just walk on by like he never met me, that's what I plan to do. However, I don't know how well I'll keep up y front once he's in front of me. 

Ignoring the butterflies in my stomach I stand up and dig through my closet. I pull out a jean jacket, white tube top and black jeans then put them on. After loosely curling my hair and doing my makeup, I go downstairs to grab some food. 

When I get downstairs I see my mother standing over the stove mumbling something, "Mom?"

"Cody! There you are, I was wondering if you were going to take up!"

"You're home?" I know she said she'd be home today, but usually that means three days after that. 

"Of course! I couldn't miss my baby's first day of school! I made eggs, are you hungry?"

Ignoring the nerves making me nauseous I walk over and dish a plate, "Where's Brin?" 

After a long pause I look up from the stove as he face falls, "Mom?"

"Sh-she's still at the hospital. Her condition plummeted last night and she's under severe watch." A small tear falls from her eyes.

"What?! Will she be o-okay?" My voice struggles to come out.

"Of course she will, she's Brinley." A smile appears on her face, but I can see through her lie. 

I smile at her and carry my food upstairs, once my bedroom door is shut I slide down it in tears. When we were in Washington things were already bad, but since we moved it's like everything is falling apart. Stitch by stitch, my world is coming undone. I sit on my floor in tears for what feels like hours until I hear my mom honk outside. Shit. Quickly, I reapply my makeup and redo some of my curls, I decide I look decent enough. I hear a second honk as I grab my back pack and lace up my Converse. 

Ten minutes goes by and I see the school, Minnehaha High. Great. 

A hand rests on my cheek, "Honey it'll be okay, they'll love you."

I keep my face pointed towards the window and ignore her.

"Cody, Brinley will be okay. You know she will. She always pull through."

Tears well up behind my eyes, because for the first time I don't think she will.

"Go on. Just focus on school right now. It'll be okay."

She keeps saying "ok" as though if she says it everything will be fine, but it's not. We've been saying "it'll be okay" for six months now, but it never stops. I put my bag on my back and open the car door.

"Bye Cody, say hi to Gage for me. I want to hear all about him at home."

My heart breaks for the millionth time, "I will, bye."

I make my way up to the school and hold my breath.