Chapter 2

The plane finally lands in Minneapolis and I follow my mom off. We navigate our way through the airport and make it to the parking lot where we call an Uber. As we wait for our ride I play Rock, Paper, Scissors with Brinley which helps to keep her from crying. 

"Here's our ride girls." My mom informs us as she stands up off the sidewalk and walks towards a black Buick.

We all climb in the car and sit in silence for twenty minutes until I see the house from all the pictures my mom has shown me come up on the right. A dark blue, two story, contemporary style house with white trim. Don't get me wrong the house is gorgeous, but it doesn't feel homey. I look over at my mom who's eyes are wide and her smile fills her face as she stares at our new home.

"What do you think, Cody?"

"It's beautiful." She's so happy, I don't want to ruin that.

We all file out of the car and walk up the door, we wait as my mom fishes for the key in her purse. Finally, she pulls it out and unlocks the door. When I walk in I'm blown away, it's stunning. I really want to hate it, but I can't. I look around and see all our old furniture and some new ones she must've bought. It looks like you gutted our old house and plopped it in here, the same yet so different.

"Your room is upstairs." My mom informs me pointing towards a beautiful wooden stair case.

I run up them and follow the hallway to the only door I see. When I open it I see my bed, wall art, and vanity all perfectly laid out. The walls are a light blue with white wood, exactly what I asked for. My mom must've bought me a new bedspread, because a new white one covers my bed instead of my old yellow one. I walk over to my bed and run my hand across it, it's amazing. I hear someone come up the stairs and when I turn around my mom is standing in the doorway.

"Do you like it?"

"I love it, you did amazing. Is this the only room upstairs?" I ask, still feeling the comforter.

"Yep, you got the place to yourself." She says with a proud smile.

I walk over to where she's standing and hug her for the first time in forever. She jolts, but then wraps her warm arms around me. I back out of the embrace as she brushes a piece of hair out of my face, then walks downstairs. After a few more looks around my room, I follow her. When I get downstairs my mom is laying on the couch and Brinley is playing with the Barbie she brought. For once my family looks normal. I smile then walk back up the stairs and drift off to sleep in my bed.