Chapter 11

"It'll be okay." I know he can't promise me that, but he makes it sound so true.

I step out of the car and stumble when my shaky legs hit the ground, but I catch myself on the door handle. Gage comes around to me and holds my hand as we walk in. My brain is racking up as many bad outcomes as it can think, one after another. I'm so wrapped in my own thoughts I don't realize we're at the from desk and Gage is talking.

"In room 206?" He must've asked her for the room number.

"Yes, take the elevator up a level and it's the 3 door on the right." The kind nurse answers.

"Thank you."

I walk with him to elevator and push the button for floor two. The ride up feels like forever, but finally the doors open and I jog to room 206 where I can see my mother's coat hanging just inside the propped door. I push the door open and feel my heart break when I see my tiny sister all pale and balled up in the giant bed. 

"Cody!" My mother yells out as she runs over to me, "Thank you for coming."

"Your welcome. Crap, I forgot to bring you more clothes." I rest my hand on my forehead in disbelief I forgot." 

"That's okay baby." Her sentence trails off as her eyes meet Gages.

"Hello, Mrs. M-." Gage stops his sentence, I can see in his face he is unsure what to call her since my dad is out of the picture. "I'm Gage." He saves himself by reaching his hand out to her.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Wendy." My mom gives me a look as she shakes his hand. She's mad I didn't tell her. That's the face she gives me when I forget to do the dishes, only this time it's more intense. She'll scold me later.

I push past her and walk over to Brinley, kneeling next to her and moving the hair out of her face. With my touch she opens her eyes and gives me a weak smile.

"Cody." 

"Hey munchkin. How are you feeling?"

"Icky, my head hurts."

I rest my hand on her head and my eyes fall, "I'm sorry."

"Will you lay with me?"

"Of course." Brinley scoots over to give me room and I pull the cover back to lay with her. I wave to Gage who is still standing in the door way, "Come here."

"Brinley this is Gage."

"He's pretty." She whispers in my ear.

I slide closer to Brinley and motion for him to lay with us. Gage smiles and crawls in next to me. 

"Hi Brinley." He says before pinching her cheek.

"Hellooo."

We lay there for an hour watching reruns of 'Spongebob Squarepants' on the Television while my mom sleeps on the cot. I'm happy to know she's getting some rest, I know that when we're gone she doesn't sleep at all. I can tell by the circles under her eyes, they get worse each time Brinley is admitted. I  look down and notice Brinley is sleeping too, finally. The both of them have a hard time sleeping here, me included. I look at the clock on the wall, 12:02pm. I didn't realize it was still so early or how hungry I am. I look over at Gage who is fiddling with a bracelet I hadn't noticed he was wearing, it's a purple braided one with a heart charm. Curiosity takes over me, but he catches me looking and tucks it under his sleeve with a smile. 

After kissing him on the cheek I whisper, "We should let them sleep."

"You're right," He carefully stands and switches off the television before helping me off. 

I look back at them peacefully asleep, they looks so innocent and untouched right now. As though a bad thing has never came within 50 miles of them. I like them this way. Maybe in another world they could be happy, maybe one day. I have hope for them, more than I do for myself.

I feel Gage's hand rest on my shoulder, "Are you sure you want to go?"

I nod and turn to follow him out the door as I walk down the hallway a tear escapes down my cheek. My little sister has never looked so, little. I've seen her in bad shape, especially after chemo. However, today it was different. Brinley had a brave face on that told you she was going to be okay, but today she looked so worried. Which makes me worried, what if she is giving up? Deciding to the throw in the towel and let what happens happen. Gage looks at me with concern in his eyes as he reaches to wipe the tear off my face. I wonder if he regrets meeting me that day now that he knows what comes with me? Boys go out with girls to kiss and make memories, not to only kiss me because I'm sobbing in his car. 

And that's exactly what I say, "Gage, do you regret asking me out? Now that you know the baggage I carry." I look down afraid of his answer.

"Cody, is that what you think of me?" Anger fills his face, "I know everyones not perfect, everyone has something they're hiding or that makes them cry when no one's looking. That's just another reason to stick around, to show them they're capable of being loved."

"You're too good for me." I rest my hand on his cheek and let another tear fall.

"You're perfect for me."

He grabs my hand and leads me out of the hospital.