Chapter 13

My sore throat and headache remind me of the events last night, as it all soaks in my heart aches. I get out of bed and stand in front of my bathroom mirror in shock. My eyes are swollen and red, my hair is in knots, dry mascara streaks down my cheeks, my skirt wrinkled, and I have cuts across my bottom lip from me biting down on it. I turn a way from my self and dig for aspirin in the kitchen cabinet, finally I find a bottle hidden in the back. I walk downstairs to fill myself a glass of water, then swallow them. Too nauseous to eat, I lay on the couch and turn on 'Kid's Baking Championship.' As I sit on the couch flashbacks of me sitting right here on Gage's lap and screaming at him, flip through my mind. My flashback is interrupted by my phone vibrating next me, my hearts races. I relax when I see it's my mother...not him.

"Hello?" My voice is scratchy.

"Hey honey, just wanted to call and check in on you. How are you?"

Her question makes me laugh, "I'm great." 

"Well, don't forget we'll be home tomorrow. Do you think you could go grocery shopping for me? It's just a few blocks down and my credit card is in the dish on the counter."

"Yeah, of course. I'll go now." I really don't want to go out in public, but my mom needs me during this all.

"Thank you, love." I quickly say my goodbyes and hang up.

After taking a long, hot shower and putting some makeup on, I gain a tad bit of confidence. I change into a Lululemon tank top and running shorts, then grab my mom's card. Slipping my AirPods in, I start running down the sidewalk. It doesn't take long to get there, no more than 20 minutes. When I walk in I pull up the list my mom texted me and quickly grab everything. I throw in a few comfort snacks for myself, then check out. I put all the grocery's in a backpack I brought, so I can easily run back. 

On my way home I pass the coffee shop and debate on going in, until I see Gage's Jeep in the parking lot. I feel myself tear up as I stare at the Jeep I once rode in with his hand in mine. Before a tear escapes I turn and sprint, not stopping until I reach my house.

...

The rest of the day I spend watching movies and snacking, then I prepare myself for the first day of school tomorrow.