zugzwang

Wisteria had been locked up in the god's bed chambers after the little incident with that woman. No one was to come in and see her beside a few maids, the twins and Matteus. Septimus rarely stepped inside. She heard he was busy with tending over the other souls.

But Matteus told her that he was really looking out for anything suspicious in his realm. After being called a martyr, the thought of her being sacrificed for some belief had scared him. So Septimus wanted to check and see if any demons were rebelling, or perhaps some souls wanted to harm her.

And while the god was out, Wisteria was being watched over by the twins. Specifically, it was like she was being groomed. Abdul sabur was absolutely ecstatic in brushing her hair, he even made all sorts of braids as his brother stood watching them on his master's bed.

Even though Wis wanted to enjoy this quality time with the siblings, she was quiet and only stared down at the bed sheets.

It's possible that the woman was predicting her near future. Wisteria always has a feeling that she would die in this world and use up one of her lives, but it made her terrified. She didn't want to die so soon, and the girl didn't know how long it would be until she resurrects.

The girl clenched the sheets. Did Alistair know about this? He had to have an inkling that she would die. Was this why he gave her more lives? What was the purpose of her being here?

Now that she thought about him, it grew confusing to think about him having this much power. What kind of a person was he to give her spare lives? To transport her into this world?

Who was Alistair?

"I'm going to die, aren't I?"

That very sentence broke the peaceful atmosphere. Abdul sabur stopped playing with her golden locks while his twin tensed up.

Wisteria gave a pitiful grin. "If I'm being really honest here, I've been having dreams of dying. I don't know much about this place... or any of the gods, including Septimus. I wouldn't blame myself if I ended up getting killed."

Seeing her expression crumble made the siblings distressed. Abdul samad walked closer to the bed and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. Wis only shook his hand off and sniffled, "I don't believe much about what that woman said, I don't believe that my fortune is based on those cards—but when she told me of how I'll be a sacrifice, I believed it."

The memories of her being stuck in that dark place and getting lost even with the help of her system made her sick. Wisteria unconsciously wrapped her arms around herself and trembled a little. She can still remember the distinct smell of fire, the way the blades nicked into their skin, and the aroma of her blood as they dropped to the floor.

Wis remembered everything. It made her terrified.

"I was turned into a sacrifice once, it could happen again. Maybe I'll die this time for sure," she whispered. Her eyes stung a little as tears started to form. "I'm scared, I don't wanna die."

"You won't."

Matteus had just entered the room. But the male could hear her from the other side of the door. It made him absolutely distressed to listen to his master say that, and he wanted nothing more than to try and comfort her. But now as he watched her curled up on the bed with petrified eyes, he was at a loss on what to do.

Wisteria sighed. "Matteus... are you here to take me up to the surface?"

"Mistress, it's time to leave. It's also best not to visit this realm for a while," he added.

Right after he said that, the twins tensed ever so slightly. The girl could feel their glare right under their masks. Wisteria twisted her body to face the demon and tiredly looked up at him. "Is that so? That's what Lord Septimus said?"