88 | sexism in kpop

-88-

this chapter is going to be long and i will be dividing it into short segments. i know that every single topic i will be covering might not be sexism, some of them are just ignorant comments or assumptions people make about kpop girl groups or female soloists. anyways stream chica by chungha, our official female empowerment anthem !!

segment 1:
"girlgroup choreographies are bad"

i hear this being said all the time, and it feels really stupid that i'm even having to adress it. first of all, a choreography does not have to be difficult to be good. have you ever thought about which choreographies are the most well known and the most iconic? literally all twice choreos. everyone knows the fancy and what is love dance. bts is the most well known group in the world, but many people don't even bother to learn their choreos because they're so complicated and tiring. often simplicity is the key to success, i mean have you thought of how many people are unintentionally promoting twice by making cover videos or dancing to their songs in public?

segment 2:
comparing bg and gg choreographies

this segment goes hand in hand with the previous one, but i'm going to make it a separate one because i have a lot to say about this one. people often like to compare gg choreos to bg choreos, and in my opinion that's dumb and like comparing apples to oranges. gg choreos have a lot of smooth and slow moves and detailed hand movements, and the members often focus on making different formations when dancing together. bg choreos have a lot of jumping and fast movements in them, which makes them seem more difficult since they're so flashy i guess (please note that i'm making a generalization, i know this does not apply for every gg/bg choreo, just the majority).

based on my observations, gg choreos are pretty difficult to pull off, a lot of people end up looking stiff and un-elegant when doing a gg cover (a perfect example is every other chungha cover) and this does not happen with bg choreos as often. this is just my opinion though, not facts! with bg choreos the problem often lies in not having powerful moves, which results in you looking like you're just jumping around.

the choreographies groups go for often depend on what concept they use, which depends on the song they perform. can you imagine twice busting down to yes or yes with stray kids' miroh choreo? that would look weird as hell and not fit the vibe of the song at all.

segment 3:
"girlgroups sell their bodies"

i hear this one super often too, and it's literally just dumb and hypocritical. everyone in kpop sells their body, it doesn't apply to ggs and female artists only. stop pretending like bgs don't show their abs and grind on the floor all the time. so many people call hyuna a slut for having a sexy concept, and it's really stupid. first of all, being sexy is just her concept, she does not act like that in real life, nor do the bgs that show their abs etc. do it either. she's a grown woman and she is allowed to portray herself however she likes in her songs and performances. if her shaking her ass a bit and being confident in her own body makes you uncomfortable, just don't watch it. her and other female artists that aren't scared to be bold and revealing are actually doing a great deal to stop the body shaming of girls in kpop. hwasa might not match korean beauty standards but she dresses however she wants ans acts however she wants anyway. hyuna might not have a huge ass or breastst but she twerks and shows off her body shape anyway, and of course there's jessi, who isn't scared to openly talk about getting breast implants.

segment 4:
"girlgroups only have male fans"

that is not true. yes, a majority of girlgroup fans are male but that doesn't apply to every single girlgroup (e.g loona and red velvet actually have more female fans). plus, why does it matter? boy groups have more female fans so literally what is the point? just listen to what you enjoy, who cares what gender the fanbase is.