"morning."

on the other side of the door, stood a tall boy violet used to love. his curly hair a mess from the morning, pajama pants clinging to his hips and a lopsided smile. he was heavenly.

"morning finn. is luna ready?"
violet stands outside of the door, arms across her chest. normally, it would break him to pieces watching her uncomfortably stand outside of an apartment that used to be hers. today, he was thankful.

"luna! come on crazy." finn calls behind his shoulder, seeing her as she stumbles up to shut the tv off. he turns back to violet, a smile stapled to his face, scared that she somehow knew.

"you have work today? youre normally in rush to get out the door when i come." she checks her watch.

"things are a bit slow. im heading out soon."

she nods, watching as luna peaks out from behind finns legs.

"you ready?"

she nods to her mother, waiting as finn squats down to meet eye level with her. his fingers tighten lunas backpack strings, pulling her into a gentle hug. her head lays on his shoulder, holding him tightly. it put a sore spot in violet; she knew luna preferred it with finn.

"i love you, luna. i'll see you in a few days okay? be good for mom."

she nods, holding onto his face until he kisses her cheek.
"i love you daddy."

"i'll be by on thursday to pick her up." he stands to violet, staring to her deeply.

it hurt, his heart.

his fingers tingled, body raced just at the thought.

the thought of pulling her into a hug after all this time. to take in the scent she used to leave on him that had never changed. to feel her shaky breath against his shoulder as her arms finally wrap around him in forgiveness.

he knew he shouldn't.

he didn't.

"sounds good. lets go luna." she does what she promised she wouldn't again, she stares into the depths of his eyes.
"bye finn."

he waves them goodbye. watching until he couldnt see them anymore, as they disappear down the elevator that him and violet used to refuse to take.

violet waits until shes buckled the both of them in the car, staring in the mirror at lunas radiantly dark eyes.
"how was dads?"

"a lot of fun, he bought me a new movie!"

"again?"

"yep!"

"lucky you." violet smiles warmly.
"did you watch movies the whole time?"

"dad and i had a sleep over."

"you did?" she exclaims in pretend interest, trying to focus on the traffic.

"yes last night because daddy's friend is over."

"oh. did uncle jack come over to hang out with you guys?"

"no, her names maddie. she has pretty hair! and she told me she would play barbies with me next time i come home."

violets body freezes practically instantly, swallowing so harshly that her throat bled; stinging her eyes. she bites the raw of her cheek as she tries to keep it in.
"she sounds nice."

"she is." her eyelashes flutter towards the window admiring the outside.

"hey, how does breakfast with ayla and alice sound?"