¹⁸

"hey luna, how was your day sweetie?"

"good." the young girl skips past her mom, out to the front door of the daycare center to put on her shoes.

violet stays, talking with the caretakers within the upscale facility.
"everything go okay today?"

"shes the least of our problems here, shes pretty calm compared to the others."

"she is quiet, isnt she." violets eyes glance to luna, back to the short blond.

"she was complaining that her chest hurt today. a cold is going around the daycare recently so, just be on the lookout for that."

she nods, irritated at the mess that came with luna getting a cold.
"i'll be back tomorrow morning to drop her off. she wont be here thursday, its her birthday so ive taken off."

"great, see you in the morning miss cage."

violets heels tap across the marble floors to the door with her daughter, seeming to be taller in height than she was the last time violet had seen her. luna was growing up so fast, it was a hard feeling to swallow, that it only got worse the older her daughter got.

violet watches tentively as luna darts to the car in the vacant parking lot. she was nearing five within the next few days, excited for it was all she was able to talk about. luna had a running hope to love her parents all at once someday. that one day, after she wishes from her birthday cake, she would wake up to her mom and dad in one house together. she shouldnt have known any better than to keep it to herself being so young, but she did. keeping in hopes that maybe if she didnt tell, it would come true.

luna was growing up, and it was a reminder just how hard it is to watch it happen for violet. it was hard to explain out loud, or even to herself, but she felt like she was letting her down the longer she grew.

not having the depths of musical talent that luna and finn began to bond over, or not being able to spend simple things like the forth of july with her as violet couldnt bring herself outside to listen to the painful sounds of fireworks that roughly resembled the gunshots in her memory.

violet had been through shit, and in return she was putting her daughter through it.
she didnt want to have a distant relationship with the only thing that has been steady love in her life.

"anything fun today?"

"watched some movies." luna shrugs from her car seat in the back, buckling herself in.

"feeling okay?"

"miss nancy says i might be getting a cold but my nose is clean."

"well, how about we stop by the store on the way home and pick up some medicine just in case?"

luna threw a fit after that, refusing to take the medicine during and after it had been bought. violet was frustrated, but she normally was when luna was sick. it was impossible sometimes to look after someone so vibrantly opinionated.

after persuading her, things calmed down. luna spread out on the livingroom floor with her coloring book in front of her, crayons in a mess to the carpet. the tv humming the light theme song to a cartoon that violet recognized without a glance to it.

violet made dinner at the stove as she normally did after work, expecting ayla to come over from a urgent phonecall a few hours earlier. she had assumed that it was over the band ending itself, although she couldnt put together why ayla would assume that she didnt already know about it.

it had seemed like a while since ayla and alice had come to visit her, it was nice to see at least one of them; whatever the circumstance.

the doorbell brought a subtle smile to her lips, not expecting to open it to the panick on her friends face.

"ayla, what's the matter?"

"i messed everything up, violet." she storms in, eyes glancing to luna who was glued to the tv.

"hi aunt ayla."

"hi, sweetie." she walks to the kitchen, expecting violet to follow behind her as she did.
"you have any wine?"

"in the fridge." she nudges, watching as she pulls out the bottle and pours herself a glass.
"will you tell me whats going on?"

"i told malcolm."

violet stares to her, expressionless in not having an idea as to what she was getting at.

"about maddie living with finn-"

"oh ayla-"

"i know, it just came out i wasnt thinking. and now malcolm is pouting like a teenage girl, i guess he confronted finn about it last night after work but i dont know what happened."

"thats really not good." violet sighs, leaning herself against the kitchen counter top.

aylas head shakes, her glass sitting on the marble table between her fingertips.
"i dont feel bad for finn, he put himself there. its just, the hurt on malcolms face wasnt easy to watch."

"you should feel bad for finn, that was his friendship at risk too."

"he knew that it could be a possibilty going into it."

"doesnt matter" violets arms cross over her chest,
"that wasnt your place to get involved."

her eyes squint to her friend,
"why are you sticking up for him?"

"im not sticking up for anyone. im just saying that, you know, that effected the both of them."

"youre still sleeping with him, arent you?"

"what? no." she hushes, eyes glued to luna who wasnt paying attention to them in the slightest.

"my god, violet." aylas eyes roll, finishing her glass of wine.

"this isnt about me. we're talking about you messing things up."

"yeah, well" she sighs,
"i mean really what is there really to lose? the bands over after the next tour."

"theyve been friends since they were kids."

ayla shrugs, expression twisted in uncertainness.
"not really. they fight with each other all the time."

"finn loves him."

"ive know him better than anyone, i know he doesnt feel that way about anyone."

"ayla our kid is sitting in my livingroom. i think i know him a bit better than you do."

"well, what do you expect me to do?"

"you need to go talk to him and fix it."

"your advice is as comforting as a knife, you know that?"

violets smile is pushed in warmth,
"how sweet of you to say."

"i have something else to talk to you about, about james and i. i havent really talked about it and i hadnt really planned on it but i figure while im here-"

"we'll talk over dinner."

1105 wc
cant wait to start writing emotional stuff again, updating tomorrow woohoo