¹⁹

it was ordinary, the day was.

every day in violets life felt ordinary recently. she missed the thrill and excitement of what her life was years ago, but she supposed it was a part of growing up.

she was busy, not busy in an exciting detail but the most drained busy she could comprehend.

violet wouldnt ever forget how that evening had felt. the february sky setting in gray clouds and rain. an unpredictable snowflake fell every now and then, but the road stood wet like they had just been steam cleaned with a vacuum.

a sweater wraps around her bare arms, a yellow lamp on her desk illuminated her office.

she had to go into work that day, working through the later evening in order to get things squared away to take the next day off. she seemed to have missed a lot important events for luna, but her birthday would never be one of them.

violet hadn't talked to finn since learning what happened between him and malcolm, and she was still sitting on what ayla had talked to her about. but she tried to push it away in the hopes that she could get her things done as best she could before she took others burdens and made them her own.

and she did, for a while. the day seemed to have stretched on forever, going into the office early that morning and still being there well past dinner time without interruptions or a lunch break.

her eyes stung, red and exhausted until theyre forced to move at the ringing of her phone. she sighs having taken calls all day. it was late, she figured the call could wait so she lets it ring. continuing the document at her fingertips.

her body jerks at it ringing again, her heavy exhaustion radiates the air as she picks up the phone.

she had wished she would have picked up the phone the first time, her secretary's voice sending numbness into her throat, her body. what a mistake that had been.

the phone fell from violets hands, her keys clutched to her fingertips from her desk as she takes her heels off to her empty hand.

she couldnt have ran fast enough through that building and out to her car. not a word to anyone, not a glance to anyone.

she didnt know why, or how, but luna was in the hospital that night.

she made it to the hospital in half the time, her mind in a fog as she sped down the highway. she didnt have anyone else in thought. not her job, not finn, not the band. luna.

her feet didnt stop until she made it to the lobby of the vancouver hospital. it had been thirty minutes since she had the call from her secretary, she didnt know what to expect.

her eyes dart around the busy waiting room, murmuring hums fill the air but her head blocks it out; finding finns eyes across the room. they sink in relief, leg nervously bouncing to the floor gently.

"finn." she meets him in the center of the room, her body numb.
"whats going on?"

"i, dont know." his voice shakes, daring to leave the worried stare that held to violets eyes.
"i was on my way from work to get her. nancy called me and told me luna couldnt breathe, that they sent an ambulance for her."

"they havent come out to tell you anything yet?"

his head shakes,
"they know im here."