¹²

"luna please just get your things together."

"i want to finish playing!"

"you can play at dads."

"no."

"luna dont make me start counting." violet scowls from the kitchen counter, placed at the bar stool with her computer in front of her.

"i dont want to go." she approaches her mom, hands on her hips.

violet could help but smile at the adult characteristics her four year old daughter had.
"why is that?"

"maddie's going to scare away santa-" she covers her mouth.
"i wasn't supposed to say that."

"you can talk about maddie lunes, dad told me." it was a lie, finn hadn't formally mentioned to her that maddie was still there despite telling her that she was out.
"santa will still come, i promise."

violets eyes trail to the black guitar in the corner of her monochromatic living room. her heart stings around every christmas, she forces to shake it off. memories.

"please dont make me go." she begins to cry, fists clinching at her beige sweater,

"hey." violet gets up from her chair, picking up her daughter into her hold.
"you dont want to miss dads birthday right?"

"there will be cake?" she sniffles, wiping her tears from her eyes.

"probably! and santa will come tomorrow night, and you'll be right back here the day after to open presents."

"why cant i open presents with you and dad?"

"you can, we will both see you. listen, its going to be fine alright? you always have so much fun there."

she nods, wiping her wet face away. they both glance at the knock at the door. violet sets her daughter on her feet, shooing her along.
"dads here; go get your stuff together and pick up what you got out in your room, okay?"

she nods, doing as shes told as violet answers the door.
"hey finn, come in. lunas getting her stuff together."

"thanks." he smiles to her, stepping in and wiping his snow covered shoes on the mat.

"happy birthday." she leads him to the kitchen, sliding a jar across the counter to him.
"luna made you brownies, since you dont like cookies."

he glances at the jar in his hands, back up to her.
"thanks vi."

"yeah youre welcome. listen, lunas a bit worried that santas not going to come for her; i know you'll take care of it. just wanted to make you aware."

"what? why would she think that?"

"not sure?" violet shrugs, not wanting to tell him the truth.
"but she's moody today so good luck with that."

"oh good." he sighs into his smile. his gentle eyes trace her living room and the decorated christmas tree coordinated with the colors in the rest of her house. eventually, back to her.
"what are your plans for christmas?"

"this is it." she shrugs, her eyes refusing to meet him.
"are you going down to your parents' this year?"

"nah im staying home, i think they might come down to see luna sometime tomorrow."

"nice, well, tell them merry christmas for me."

"yeah of course." he watches as she goes to the fridge, pulling the bottle of water to the counter. her actions radiated sadness, he knew the holidays were hard for her. without luna, she didn't have much of anyone to spend time with anymore.
"you know, nick is coming with. im sure they would like to see you."

"it'll already be a full house with maddie there, dont you think?" she continues to pull the ingredients for her dinner from the fridge to her counter.

finn sighs, hands rested to the marble top.
"i know youre mad-"

"im not mad, finn." her voice stands timid, soft.
"i dont have a place to be mad."

it was almost worst for him, feeling her hurt instead.

"ive been trying to kick her out for weeks violet, please believe that-"

"believe you? finn you took me out to dinner while she was supposedly moving stuff out. you slept with me, while you were with her-"

"im not with her."

"yeah, believe you, right?" she glances up to him, back down to the cutting board she was cutting carrots on.

his breath hitches in his chest, staring at her in hopes that she would stop being afraid of the eye contact.
"its christmas violet, and she doesnt have a place to go."

"see thats your problem, finn." she drops the carrots into a boiling pot of water; and finally, finally she gives him the eye contact he was begging for.
"you are only too damn caring for people that dont give a shit about you."

"you don't think i care for you?"

"this isn't about me." her low ponytail tickles her back through her designer sweater, eyes back down to the cutting board.

"do i have to remind you that you're the one that chose work over me? you seem to forget that, because its easier to point fingers at me rather than yourself."

"i know what happened, finn." she glares up to him.
"i was there."

lunas heavy footsteps come running from her room, backpack bouncing behind her as she jumps on finn.
"happy birthday daddy!"

"thanks luna." he picks her up, holding her gently in his arms.
"you ready to go?"

she nods as he puts her down, walking to violet to give her a hug goodbye. finn watches gently, seeing every bit of violet in luna that never seemed to be pointed out. she was full of fire, of energy; a smile like hers.

"why don't you go buckle yourself in." finn walks his daughter to the door, violet following behind them.
"the cars running."

luna agrees, carefully walking her way down the slippery walkway as the two parents watch her tentatively from the door.

"what if i invited my family over here tomorrow instead? no maddie, just us; like it was."

"dont be ridiculous finn." her arms cross in front of her, drowning in his eyes.

"why is that ridiculous?"

"you'll give them the wrong idea. maddie will weasel her way in and end up complicating my feelings, i don't need that. id rather be on my own."

"i don't want you to be on your own."

"i spent the holidays by myself last year and you didn't give a shit. don't pretend like you do now."

"i shouldn't have let you be on your own, i don't want to make that mistake again."

she decides to drop the attitude in a sigh. speaking gently once more,
"enjoy your holidays with your family, finn. you don't need to worry about me anymore, i've got stuff to keep me busy."

"really?"

she nods, letting off a smile ever so softly.
"but thank you, for making an effort."

"we'll be over at five." his hand squeezes her shoulder momentarily before falling back to his side.
"see you tomorrow, vi."

1150 wc

in honor of finns birthday tomorrow and
christmas in a few days, heres some kind holiday chapters :)