²

the suburbs were quiet.

it was what violet preferred.

her whole life had been surround by bustling traffic and nauseating city lights, that she had never known what it was like to be in such peace.

the useless snow falls to the windshield of the jeep as finn drives down the dark quiet road. it melts instantaneously as the ground refused to let it stay.

in the houses, stood families. warm in pajamas as they watched movies under their living room lights. all but violets, which sat small and dark.

finn pulls into her driveway, eyes floating to her as she inspects her home from the outside.

"thanks for the ride."

"of course." his fingers tap quietly on the wheel, always accidentally in rhythm.

"next monday is my day with luna, yeah?"

"i wont forget." he smiles to her.

"i'll pick her up from you then."

"have a good night, vi."

"you too." her door opens, hesitating to say goodbye to luna; she didnt want to wake her.

so instead she leaves without it, knowing it would only be a few days without her.

a few, lonely days.

as her keys unlock the front door, shes greeted in the scent of her home and the warmth from the heating vents.

there was no cinnamon, no matches. just her.

and for whatever reason, that night would be the night that violet simply sits to her couch in thought. much like every other house in the small neighborhood. except no lights, no movie, and no family. just thoughts.

thoughts about how unusually bad that night had gone. despite what had happened, it was rare for the two to fight. they were civil, for luna.

together they had hoped that luna had thought of her parents as best friends. they did a damn good job pretending.

at least violet felt she was pretending.

pretending for two years now. two years since the last time they were together as a family. two years since the happiest point in violets life, had crumbled to dust at her feet; kicked away in the breeze.

it was work, it was always work.

the moment violet stepped foot back into her office after luna was born, was the day that violet had become obsessed with getting her new designs out.

finn tried, violet knew that. he tried so hard to manage himself and luna for the family. taking luna to work as she cried of boredom, stress out about getting things done and looking after a kid, just so that violet could be happy.

and finally, two years ago he had decided he had enough. he told violet that things werent working for him and she had to leave.

anger spilled her veins, her head hurt in rage that night. but he helped her find a place to stay, and made sure that she had everything.

he made sure she had everything she needed despite feeling picked over as less important than violets job. and yet she still had the nerve to blame him for never looking after her and her happiness.

it was what she always had done.

it was selfish, and childish, and she was over herself.

she wasn't disconnecting because of the lack in relationship with finn. she was disconnecting as she realized who she was.

violet hated herself and that was never going to change.

although it hit finn pretty hard every now and then, he was happy with his life at that moment.

set in the same one bedroom apartment as he had before, although this time he had split the living room in two, to put lunas things in her own space.

he had the most beautiful daughter, the best friends in the world, and despite their arguments, he felt close enough to violet.

coming home with luna were the highlighted nights. but just like violet, when he sat alone he thought about what he once had. violet cage.

he thought about the way she felt as he is forced to try to sleep in his empty bed. he thought about her smile when he felt like giving up. he thought about her interests and that damned painting that brought hell to his life every time he saw it on his wall.

he thought about her always.

it drove him mad knowing that she would never leave his head. for as long as luna stayed, violet would stay as well. and every few days he watches as they exchange custody. being forced to see her and make small talk.

after every show.

after every dance recital of lunas.

he saw her everywhere.

that was his life from then on. seeing her was the utmost disappointment for he knew that the minute her eyes connected with his the spark was back. his hands get sweaty, his eyes grow darker as they refuse to leave her. his lips practically tremble at the remembrance of what hers felt like.

it wasnt until that night, after violet was gone and luna stays asleep on the mattress in the living room; did finn decide that it was time to change every moment he had by himself.

and to instead of think of violet, he were to think of someone else.

he were to leave what he had behind and create a better life for him and luna.

and maybe, just maybe,

after eight years if being hung up on the same girl.

that meant finding somebody new.

1004 wc

-updating once a day, every day. both books
-sorry for the snooze chapter, crazy stuff is coming