Chapter 27: The Water Shimmers

I'm sitting outside the steps of work late into the night. Everyone, even James, had left for the night. Leaving only the few guards and myself. I had to catch up due to the days I'd missed. The darkness was as bright as the day in this busy city. Lighting everything in its sight including the concrete space I'd claimed as my own. Holding the letter, hiding my fear with a face of boredom. A low sigh as I played with it between my hands. Spinning it around before clapping it quick into my open palms. 

At the moment I was resting before walking home. Tired from everything. Wishing I didn't always have to be me. So stubborn. I should've caught up another day. Today just wasn't  the right time. Yet I couldn't stop. Seeing all the paperwork sprawled everywhere. Unanswered messages and pending actions. I just threw myself into the zone and never looked back. 

Looking at the envelope I felt that fixation come over me once more. Itching to read it as I let my chest relax. My bones crack into a more comfortable less stiff position. Once in a while, at times like this I remember how this city was my true comfort. The city and...

"I guess not."

I shake my head back and forth getting his image out of my mind. My fingers trace the open portion of the envelope, pushing it open a bit more. Inside is a letter. Written on plain white paper, practically glowing against the environment around me. 

After a second of staring, I pull it out. A picture almost falls but I catch it. My breath catches in my throat. It's the guy James had stabbed, but given some time to live. The other gang member. He's smiling on a hospital bed, with family. Daughters, and a wife with fresh tears still drying on her face. For the first time in a long time, my hands shake without control. Like I was child again watching my parents get taken away.

I fight all the feelings raging through me and carefully open the letter now. The words bleed into my memory. 

"Mr. Park,

I'm sorry for what I did. Although I should be angry I feel as if you helped me to see I don't want life like this. Thank the woman with you and tell her of my regret. She saved my life."

Like a perfect storm, lights blared my way. Before I heard the loud clank of an opening door. Too shocked to move. My heart dropping at a million km an hour. I didn't care about everything else. Not until arms yanked me up and I was thrown into a vehicle. The letter and picture still tight in my hands. I pulled them to me before trying to kick my way out. Only to feel arms snake around me and words whispered into my ears. 

"Calm down An, it's just me," he chuckled with a blade to my throat, "Jae-Hwa."

I shove the papers in my pocket. Then looked back at the guards, who were still as statues, as we drove away. 

Lost and confused. But sure of one thing. 

All of it was worth it, just for that moment. Maybe, I could save us too.