Chapter 14: Drying Out

I don't know how far I ran or at first where I ran off too, until I got there. It was that place again. The park. 

I'd been here before many a time. The park. Maybe not this one specifically, but others. I don't know why, but whenever I was trying to escape reality I always would end up at one. I don't know what attracted me to it, maybe the nature because I wasn't used to it. I was used to the city and walls of buildings always around me. The lack of life in the darkest alleyways. Here the earth almost seemed to call out to me. Begging me to become one with it. In my saddest moments I wished it to, wishing I could become like dirt. I often question whether I deserved to live, in my deepest of thoughts. My lungs ached and my chest felt like it was filled with lead. The wetness in my eyes blurred my vision just a little bit. I reached a tree and immediately I punched it. I punched it hard enough for my knuckles to bleed. I hadn't seen the kid nearby, who proceeded to scream before running off. 

At the sight, my heart became frozen and I slumped down against the tree. My arms holding my knees to my chest. Gripping as if even a slight chance of opening up would be my end. All the memories flooded through. I shook my head trying to rid myself of them. Holding in the pained cry waiting to come out. I was so tired of holding it in. Always holding it in. 

It was then strong hands gripped both my shoulders. Warm breath breathed on my forehead. 

"It's okay." He said.

"I'm fine." I automatically responded.

My eyes darted up as the words came out. Those grey orbs were looking back at me. It was James.  I don't know what came over me, but the sudden need to tell the truth to him and him alone became something I just had to say. I couldn't keep holding it in. I had to tell at least someone. 

"My parents were hitmen," maybe someone like him could accept me, "and so was I, unwittingly." There, the truth. The bit I never said before. I may have been a child at the time, but I still killed people. Watched them die without even knowing it. That's why I hated killing. Killers.

My eyes examined his. No more tears came. I could tell my face was like stone. Emotionless and cold. I couldn't help it. All I wanted to know was what he was thinking. Whether he'd take me seriously, but be okay. Know it's not who I am now, even if a part of me. This probably won't be the last time I confront my demons. Can Park accept that? I looked into his eyes for anything, but they were just as shielded as mine. 

Reassurance was absent. Park held me firm, but his breath was still warm. Still close. He hadn't pushed me away. 

He whispered, " I know. " As James spoke, he pulled me up and held me. I could feel myself ready to cry again. Ready to let go of what I've held inside, but then I heard a sound.

Footsteps made there way in front of us. A soft patting against the grass.

It was Jae-Hwa.