Chapter 18: Cats and Death

It was my day off and I found myself on the front steps of Park's place. The entrance door was at least twice as tall as me and three times as wide. My place was nicer than most, but just the intricate beauty carved into the wood before me put all I'd worked for to shame. Hell, the obvious third story above me made this mansion even larger than Jae-Hwa's. It was to the point of highly excessive. 

Yet, there was no doorbell. 

Hence I'd found myself here, but just staring on like a buffoon. Waiting for some type of courage to take over and let me pound against the door while praying I don't chip it. I tap my foot a bit more aggressively against the marble below before finally forcing my arm violently against the door. Hitting it with two loud slams. 

It opens just as I'm hitting a third time. James right there, catching my arm at the same speed as he swings back the door away from us both. His eyes pierced mine while I took in the surroundings behind him. 

A huge open entryway leading to many different rooms and stairs all the way in the back. Maids maybe, guards with belts covered with knives, and other people walking or running around. There are at least five couches and multiple water fountains with bowls connected at the floor. 

Three or four dogs were walking around with some people, and two cats were being held by what I suspected were maids who walked swiftly to a closed room at the left edge near the stairs. The sounds of barking and yips filled the ivory halls. Park's words came out more stark than usual.

"You stood out there for a while." He seemed almost surprised.

My eyes became fixed on his for a moment. A response begging to come. My hand gripped tight on the bag I held with me, a replacement lamp wrapped neatly as a present. It was why I was physically here instead of calling. Why I was now standing face to face with James while the background of his house continued to distract me with the sight of so many animals and people. Definitely not the first thing I was expecting to see in the house of a mobster. Another awkward moment passed; Park combed his hand through his hair while we still stared at each other. Finally, I processed his previous words.

I questioned, "How did you know that?"  

Immediately he pointed out to behind me. Neither of us looked in the direction of his pointing though.

"Security cameras." He quipped. The grey in his eyes flickered as he emphasized the word camera. Another loud 'yip' sound filled the air. I felt I needed to mention the obvious. Unable to ignore it any more.

"You've got a lot of... pets." 

He smiled.

"No, I use the first floor as a no-kill animal shelter." 

Is he serious? My eyebrow raised just enough to let him know how strange he sounded. Park's smile grew wider.  His fingers tapping against his leg. Suddenly he stepped back, implying for me to come inside. I stepped in, taking off my shoes to put on the guest slippers. As I did so, Park spoke once more.

"What else would I do with all of this room?" 

The statement was a bit rhetorical, and a little snarky. I shook away the heat coming to my face, called him a cocky bastard casually under my breath, and handed him the present.

He whispered a quick thank you, taking it and my hand. Leading us through the halls and toward the stairs. I embraced the gentleness of his fingers wrapped within my own and allowed him to take us where ever it is we were going.

Partially because I was too tired from my previous hospital adventure and partially because my mind was somewhat of a mess and a little direction couldn't hurt.