Chapter 7: Good Evening

"For the chocolate, I'm taking you out." I could barely get the words out as I pushed him from behind out the door. He could have stopped me, but seeming to enjoy this, he allowed me the privilege. Even going so far as to pretend to keep his hands above us, like a sign of surprise. 

He responded with a smooth tone, "It's alright." Is he rejecting me? Hell naw. I'm really not in the mood. We worked an extra hour tonight and these stupid shoes were blistering the back of my heel as if gold were hiding in there. Plus I don't like to have debts. We stood outside now. I poked his back. Trying my best, I sidestepped him and politely insisted.

"We're eating and I'm paying motherfacker." He raised an eyebrow at me. My face got hot. 

"Facker?" Crap. Maybe my mood was worse than I predicted. 

I rephrased, "I insist... James." I meant to say it like this the first time.

He stretched out his arms, then dropped them down. After a second I felt them graze against my shoulders. It almost sounded like he was trying to hold back a joke as he spoke. 

"Take me to the ddeokbokki stand at the corner, then." Rich dude eats ddeokbokki? Bullshit.

I questioned, "Why?" He chuckled. His hands pulled away from me and into his pockets. We began walking in the direction of the stand. 

"You wanted to take me out. So take me out. Plus there's a guy I'm thinking about killing who comes there once in a while. We can watch him while we eat." I see. Well at least it saves me a bit of money. My food budget's not exactly like his, but I was prepared to live off noodles for the next month or so for this. 

We got there and I orders us two cups full. Since the lady was serving them in cups. He took his stick and bit into the first piece from his cup. I grabbed two at a time and shoved them in my mouth. The spiciness mixed with the perfect chew texture was something to be craved. An accidental mini moan of joy followed as I shoved more in my mouth. 

Park asked, "Favorite food?" I glared. 

"All food is my favorite, Mr. Park." He sighed. 

"Of course." 

"What's that supposed to mean?" Park ignored me, and finished his first piece finally. I went to shove some more from my cup in my mouth, but I'd already finished it all. Maybe I should get some more? But then that'd prove whatever rude thing he was implying... So enraptured in my thoughts, I didn't notice Park move closer. 

Until I felt the ddeokbokki pressed against my lips. I immediately ate it. 

Park laughed. I looked at him then turned away. Staring at the dark streets instead. 

"Weren't you looking for your next victim or something?" I could feel my chest pounding. What was this? 

"Yes." His voice was deeper than usual. I turned back to him. The sudden pounding got rougher. It killed my appetite. Am I having a mini heart attack? 

That's what I get for being a fatass I guess. 

We stared at each other for a bit. Those silver orbs shimmering just enough to be distracting. His face looked so serious. Always serious, always cold. Even his laughter from before was more reminiscent of prickling ice than the warm sound that usually comes out of people. 

As much as I didn't want to admit it. It kind of reminded me of myself. Not the me everyone sees, but the me that swells in my chest. Fills my heart. 

People like us, we don't deserve to laugh. I guess that's why it always sounds so bitter. 

My chest was pounding so much now, it hurt. I barely heard him.

"Are you okay An?" Had I dazed out that much? Oops. I lied as quick as I could.

"Of course. What are you looking at anyways? Got something on my face?"  I pointed at my cheek in a comedic manner. He turned his gaze away. Then shoved the rest of the ddeokbokki into my free hand. 

"He's not here today. Enjoy." His eyes were widened in annoyance. I stopped looking and stared down at the food. I shifted my body left to right uncomfortably. 

I could hear Park walk away. Slow loud steps. The pounding stopped. Replaced by an ache. 

I sighed. 

"Why do I still feel like I owe him?" Why am I feeling anything? 

This is, sudden. It doesn't make sense.