Chapter 25: The Outside In

"We're like family, didn't you say that?"

My eyes shoot open, but my body feels paralyzed. Unable, or maybe unwanting, to move. I just gaze on as the clear plain wall above me gets more greyed in tone with each flickering down of the lights from the window across.  Everything but my arms are warm and unbothered by slow wind blowing down from the nearby fan. A small trinket hanging on its pull switch of a tiny piece of food wiggles with the movement. Ddukbokki.

I'm in my home. 

Ignoring the heavy weight pushing me down I force myself to sit up. Looking around. Everything is as usual except for James Park sleeping on a chair about one and half meters from me. He's using my unkempt outside chair. The one I use for midnight lazy snacking that barely holds me, let alone a man nearly twice my size with far more muscle density. Yet there he was, sleeping with arms crossed and button shirt loosely open, face in a forever stone like stance as the poor chair struggled to keep from collapsing under his weight. I guess it must be a little afraid too of such an intimidating man. 

I slip out of my covers and walk the short distance over to him. Placing my hand on his cheek in a fake slapping motion. In an instant he places his over mine and awakes, gazing up right at me. A stare more intense as the darkness of the room brought out the danger in his eyes. The strong glint of a man who must know exactly what he was doing. I couldn't help the warmth hit my cheeks. 

I joke, "Hey idiot, you ruined my food chair. Next time just use the extra bed in the closet."

"Next time." He smiled with his comment. 

My face got hotter. I turned away while sneaking my hand out from under his hold. Immediately feeling the cold against my palm as it left the warmth of his skin. To counter the sensation I tucked it between my other arm. Only then did I realize he was not wearing an undershirt and I was, wearing his undershirt. I went back to the bed and covered myself up with my blanket, glaring at him.

"Could you not find my clothes?" I asked.

He stayed sitting on my chair, though moved to resting both his shoulders on his knees and keeping his hands clasped together. His eyes were widened in a threatening manner. 

"And let the whole world continue to see your unconscious self topless?" He states. 

I glared further. Then I remembered what happened. What Jae-Hwa did. All the heat drained from my face as cold took its place. Stinging in my throat. Cloudiness to my vision like then. I refused to speak for fear I would stutter. Instead I  looked away and pulled the covers up further as I nodded in James general direction. He just stayed how he was. At least I think he did. 

Though when I saw the cup of water plop down next to me on the nearby desk I knew he had moved. I glanced forward further as he stood leaning his body against the desk. Looking down at me but not saying a word. Revealing nothing. 

My hands grip tightly together underneath the warmth with which I hid them. So tight I could feel blood pooling around the nails. I didn't know what to do. But he did. 

He took the  water and pulled down the covers to hand it to me. Gently forcing my tight grip open as he did so, wiping the blood off with his sleeve. I held the cup there for a second before finally lifting my hand and taking a small sip.  Our eyes suddenly become locked on each other like they always seem to do. 

As his hands slipped away I could see him bringing them behind himself, pulling something out meant to be hidden. I let the cup stay in my lap and loosened my other hand as he brought out a tiny gift box. Not more tall than my pinky finger. Silver with black wrapping. 

I held out my hand to accept it. He wiped the blood from that with his sleeve once more and then placed the box down. I handed him the cup and then pulled at the wrapping. The box opened ever so fast. 

A single dark chocolate was inside. Simple, no real design, but possibly filled. I put the whole thing in my mouth and bit down. Flavors of peach and chamomile burst through. I don't know why, but it brought me back down. Numbed the urge to cry. Made me feel almost for just that moment, a little bit of relief. Escape. The flavors were gone though as quickly as they came to be. Then I felt the urge to let cloudiness in my eyes go once more. Though at least the stinging was gone now. My face more numb now too. 

Suddenly I felt his arms wrap around me. In a soft hold. I moved one of my hands to touch one of his arms. Feel his warmth again. Resting my head in his embrace too. 

"I'll see you tomorrow at work." I whispered. 

He let go. 

Stepping back and away toward the door, but his eyes never left me. I tried to give him a small smile. Tried to hide how I felt.

As he reached the door he spoke.

"I'm still here, when you're ready."

Then he left. I fell asleep. For the rest of tonight, ignoring it all but the memory of his sleeping face.