Chapter Twenty Six.

KYLAN BURGESS

              Tuesday morning

Tuesday morning. I footed into the middle school with my Nike VaporMax padding against the polished floors. I had on a black Russell Athletic long sleeve with the school's logo across my chest and Russell Athletic embroidered sweatpants. My dreads pulled back. I walked into the office near the front entrance. A aged Latin woman with short curly hair and tanned brown skin stood behind the desk, standing near the printer, printing papers.

"Mrs. Gomez," I called, grabbing her attention. She smiled and footed over to the desk.

"Hey, Mr. Burgess, you here for Raquel?"

"Yeah," I checked out my daughter from the computer. She nodded and place the phone on her ear to call her teacher.

"Mrs. Wesley, can you send Raquel Burgess to the front office? She's being checked out. . Thank you." She placed the phone on its receiver, "she's on the way."

It's not long before my daughter walked into the office dressed in a Polaroid graphic cami tucked in her front-button denim skirt— which raised my brow since it was above knee length. White Checkered slip on Vans on her feet and hair long hair crinkled.

We waved bye to Mrs. Gomez before leaving the office.

"Braces fuckin' wit you?" I asked, touching her shoulder.

"It's really just the pressure," she commented since getting them put on a few days before Thanksgiving. I held the door open for her as she walked out and I followed.

"Aight. . So, you kickin' it wit me at the school? Or salon wit yo' Moms?"

"With you. I don't wanna listen to those chatty ladies today."

I chuckled and nodded. Unlocking the doors to my car, we both climbed into the leather interior and I started the ignition. She grabbed the aux cord and pulled it into her phone.

"I need a new phone, Daddy."

"A new phone?" I glanced at her while she searched for a song on her Samsung Galaxy, then back to the road. "You just got that phone."

"Yeah, last year. I want a iPhone. There emojis are better."

I chuckled, "damn emojis. What kinda iPhone?"

"The one you have. The iPhone XR. It's only four hundred at CDR Electronics. Buy the phone from there and go to my phone company and switch the service."

"So, you got it all planned out?"

"Yup," she smirked, "We coral colored one. Not the red on you rocking."

"Aye, my red one tight."

"Boring," she dragged out when I noticed us nearing McDonalds.

"Can you eat something from McDonalds? Want breakfast?"