Chapter Three. .

AALEA JIMENEZ

          Peace

Peace. Quietness. Change.

Main three things I ask for in my life. Three things I've never got. It's been the same ole thing since I was born, I'm convinced. I need peace from the violence all around Lyrewood neighborhood. Let's not forget, Lyrewood was named one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city. It was always active, lit. One side, was more calm since the older folks lived in that area while the other side was the lit area, the area I lived in.

When I say lit, I'm talking these young Lyrewood Crips shooting guns in the air for fun, preying on anyone they think or look weak, selling drugs on the corner stores nearby, and picking fights. All of the L Wood Crips OG's were more laid back and humble. But the guys my age and younger are reckless.

I need quietness from the gunshots and police sirens being heard every night. And I need change. . Change away from Lyrewood, a new scenery. Gladly, I'm in my last year of high school and can get away from here after I graduate. It's my plan and I'm sticking to it.

Alina Baraz's Can I played through the earbuds into my ears. A smoothing voice as hers relaxed me. I feel on another planet and far, far away from this hell of a neighborhood I live in. I bet you never even knew, that there's a universe inside of you. . Suddenly, my earphones were snatched from my ears; my eyes shot open. Sight of my mother caused my eyes to roll; knowing she was about to start.

A beauty, my Mother was, cinnamon brown skin, eyes round and light brown with naturally long eyelashes I wish I inherited. A button nose with a gold stud ring accessorizing her right nostril. Fulls lips covered in her favorite color lipstick, ruby. Hair, defined and sun-kissed, wavy hair fell passed her shoulders, pulled more to the left side of her face.

"You didn't hear me callin' you, Ariela?"

There it goes, the middle name I hated. It's a pretty name, no doubt about it. But I have my reasons for not caring for the name anymore.

"No," I replied as I rose up, "do you need something?"

"Of course I need something. Claramente, Ariela."

"Well... what is it?"

"Go get your sister's from outside."

"Why can't you?"

She raised an eyebrow. "Because I asked you to, Ariela. Just do it."

"Can you stop calling me that?" I inquired, standing from my bed; pulling my shorts down.

"Calling you what? Ariela?"

"Yess, I don't like it."

"I'm your mother and I named you. I'll call you whatever I feel like calling you. Now get them," she walked out my bedroom; I did a silent scream, punching the air.