Chapter Fourteen. .

KYLAN BURGESS

          Frustratedly, I let out a breather

          Frustratedly, I let out a breather. "Dre— you know what, stop!" My voice echoed around the gym. All of their basketball shoes squeaked; coming to a stop as they looked at me. I held my head, frustrated. This practice has to be the worst. I look to the boys; their breathing heavily. My eyes land on DeAndre whose hands are on his knees to caught his breath. "Oh, you tired Dre?"

"Yeah, Coach, I mean... We been runnin' this same play for bout a hour."

"Runnin' this same play for about an hour..." I repeat followed by a chuckle, "Running the play for bout a fucking hour— who the fuck fault is that Dre? How many mufucking times have I told you stay on him Dre! Watch ya feet Dre! Watch how you shooting Dre! Stay right wit the fucking ball Dre!" Again, my voice echoed as I tossed the clipboard to the floor.

Gym fell silent. I inhale, exhale to calm myself down.

"What are you to this team Dre?"

DeAndre raised to his six foot five height. "Point Guard."

"Our point guard, our starter... you that fucking guy, Dre. Let's not forget the goddamn captain. And it's not only on you. All my upperclassmen failing right now. Failing! Goddamn freshmen schoolin' y'all right about now."

All of the upperclassmen looks at each other or down at their shoes not knowing what to say. That's what I wanted. I want them to feel bad because I know they're better than what they showing.

"Freshman, have a seat. Upperclassmen, suicides!" I commanded; various groaning and teeth sucking was heard as they ran to one end of the gym.

"How many Coach?!" Carlos, a teammate, yelled out.

"Until I say stop!" I say before blowing the whistle and the suicides begun.

"DeAndre still fuckin' up?"

I glanced to my side seeing Shawn walking towards me. I look back to the guys running. I shook my head in disappointment. "Man, yeah. Ory! This ain't no female squad! Pick up the pace!"

Again, I shake my head. "His mind been out the last few practices, man. I don't know what's goin on. Our first game in November; two fucking month. He our starter and look how he playing. I ain't putting him on the court like that."

"True," Shawn agreed. "Sadly, I don't think anybody will be here passed next month."

My eyebrows furrowed. "What you mean?"

"Shit I heard around that director tryna close down this school. Send all the kids to Carson High while the employees go jobless." Shawn explained, shaking his head. I'm lost for words because I ain't heard about that. "I knew I should've took the job at Carson."