Chapter 18

Lexi's POV

Harry was still walking after me as I was chasing after Bellatrix. She'll pay for what she did to Sirius.

Once Bellatrix was close enough so I could hit her accurately, I fired my wand,

"Crucio!" I cast at her. The red spark struck her and she fell to the ground.

Bellatrix started gasping. I ran over to kill her, no remorse on my face, but I hesitated . I'm not evil; I can't kill a person in cold blood, even someone like Bellatrix. She's unarmed and I know I'm better than that. Voldemort, of course, I would make an exception for.

You have to mean it, Lexi. Voldemort was saying in my head. I tried to block him out as I stared down Bellatrix.

She killed Sirius. She deserves it. 

"Lexi, what's going on?" Harry caught up to me and saw I was about to kill Bellatrix. "Don't! I realised how tempting it may be for you but you're better than that, and you know it," Harry told me. I still hesitated lowering my wand, refusing to lower my guard.

You know the spell, Lexi. After all, it was used on your friend, Cedric. At the mention of Cedric, I growled, baring my teeth. Harry looked at me strangely, obviously not hearing the voice.

I felt a sudden chill on my left side and I looked in my peripheral vision to see Voldemort. Bellatrix started cackling. I was inclined to cast the Killing Curse, just to shut her up. Harry stood beside me and pulled me behind him, protecting me. 

I stepped forward, in front of Harry, turning my wand from Bellatrix to Voldemort. With a swipe of his hand, Voldemort knocked the wand out of my hand, leaving me utterly defenseless.

"So weak..." Voldemort started.

A green flame appeared and Dumbledore arrived. Thank god!

"It was foolish of you to come tonight, Tom. The Aurors are on their way," Dumbledore said, scolding Voldemort nearly like he was his son.

"By which time I shall be gone, and you..." Voldemort smiled evilly, "...shall be dead,"

As Voldemort readied his was to fire, Dumbledore pushed Harry and I to one side of the Ministry corridor. Bellatrix had managed to ease her way out of this one but I will see her die someday. She escaped using the method through which Dumbledore arrived.

Dumbledore and Voldemort then started a duel, both powerful wizards fighting quite evenly, not like my duel with Voldemort.

Voldemort had quite a few powers up his sleeve as he suddenly produced, with his breath, a dragon consisting purely of fire. The fire-dragon headed straight toward Dumbledore, Harry and I.  Dumbledore was fighting it off, diminishing it before sending the flames back towards Voldemort. Voldemort repelled them, angry, while Dumbledore proved he had a few tricks up his sleeve too.

Dumbledore used his wand to transfer a heap of water from the fountain to around Voldemort, before circling and wrapping him in water. Dumbledore created a spherical waterball, with Voldemort trapped inside, and moved it away from us.

Harry started walking forward, obviously going to try and help Dumbledore, but he just pushed Harry back towards me. Voldemort fired black shard at Dumbledore, who reflected them with a shield charm.

I didn't realise until the last minute that Voldemort was building up power, until he let go a tremendous shout, throwing all of us backwards and shattering all the glass. Voldemort used his wand to gather all the glass shards up and fire them towards us.

Dumbledore put up another charm-shield, though I don't think that will stop the glass shards. I was partially right as the glass still went through the shield, yet it was now dust. We all stood up, brushing ourselves off a little, as Voldemort disapparated in a small cyclone of smoke.

"Is he gone?" I asked, quickly.

"I wish I could say he was," Dumbledore replied. I braced myself, looking in all directions, waiting for him to ambush us.

I saw the glass-dust on the ground blow towards us and, next thing I know, Harry starts gagging and choking, falling to the ground.

"Harry? Harry!" I wasn't sure what to do as this was clearly Voldemort's doing. "Professor, what do we do?"

Dumbledore looked worried and maybe even afraid. Harry's eyes changed to an unnatural blue colour, before he spoke.

"You've lost, old man," Voldemort's voice said. 

Dumbledore was unsure what to do when, suddenly, Harry's back arched and he cried out in pain. His cries turned to screams as Voldemort tortured him from the inside. 

"Harry! Harry! Listen to me!" Harry, while still screaming, turned to look at me. "Breathe, okay? C'mon Harry, you can overcome this. Fight him! Fight him, damn it!" I yelled. I could tell Harry was fighting.

"Harry," Dumbledore said. "It isn't how you are alike. It's how you are not."

Harry was still writhing around, fighting Voldemort's influence.

He stopped screaming and writhing and just laid there, still. Alive, but dead inside.

Hermione and Ron, plus Dumbledore's Army, ran in. I turned to them, pleading with them mentally whether they could do something. Whether any of them had an idea. They all just looked at me sympathetically and stared at Harry.

Every now and then, Harry would gasp or groan, still fighting. My amazing fighter.

"You're the weak one," Harry spoke. I smiled at him, reaching out to stroke the hair off his clammy forehead. "And you'll never know love or friendship," Harry's eyes met mine, and he smiled slightly at me. "I feel sorry for you," Harry was still speaking to Voldemort, but he has overcome Voldemort's control.

Harry was thrown on his back as Voldemort disapparated from Harry's chest, before leaving to Ministry all together. But not before, Fudge and a few other official walked in and got a glimpse of Voldemort. They stood shocked, never believing what I said about Voldemort before.

Harry lost consciousness as I held his head in my lap, stroking his hair soothingly.