🌹Chapter 34🌹

A/N:
Whoo, look at me cranking out two chapters in two days. 
I'm actually surprised that I was able to finish this today, lol.

Aaaaand, this is, like, the least angsty chapter since, like... I don't even know, chapter 2?????

TW: Swearing, almost panic attack, talks about surgery, shouting, slight anxiety, mentions Remus

|Previous chapter:

"One."

Valerie was right, and my vision was rapidly fading. Before I went under, the last thing my brain registered was Patton squeezing my hand one more time.|

Roman POV:
"Congratulations. You officially aren't the last to know."

"WHAT?!?!?!?!" I asked, looking at Deceit as if he was insane. "I literally realized this less than ten minutes ago. How am I the last to know?????"

"I don't have the Trail of Lies," Deceit reminded me with a smirk. "I didn't hear you every time you denied your feelings."

"Plus it was pretty obvious," Logan responded, and my jaw dropped. "Especially after Virgil attempted."

"Wha- I- I'm so confused," I whispered, sitting down in the chair next to Patton. Chuckling lightly, Patton rested a hand on my shoulder.

"Ro," Patton began, "You offered to bring Virgil his breakfast, you spent an entire day watching movies with him, you helped him through panic attacks. The only one that didn't know besides yourself is Virgil."

Hearing Patton say Virgil's name reminded me of why I was here.

"Where is Virgil? I need to talk to him."

As soon as I said that, the others went silent and dropped my gaze. At their lack of response, I felt a flicker of anxiety in my chest.

"Where's Virgil?" I asked again, standing up and turning to face the others.

It was Logan who responded. "He just went in for surgery just over ten minutes ago."

"And he's out of surgery as of three minutes ago," a voice said from a hall across the waiting room.

As soon as I heard the voice, I spun on my heels, seeing Picani walking towards us, still wearing scrubs. As he approached, Patton stood up from his chair, and I could see that he was wringing his hands, something he only did when he was extremely nervous.

"Is Virgil okay?" Patton asked once Picani was near our small group.

At that, Picani laughed, walking up to Patton and placing a hand on his shoulder. "Virgil's fine, although, I gotta say, he gave us quite the surprise."

"W-what d-does th-that m-mean?" I asked, trying not to panic as I thought of Virgil.

"Oh, Roman," Picani sighed, walking over to me and enveloping me in a hug. "Don't worry, everything's fine."

"But... but..." I tried saying, clinging onto Picani as I tried not to cry. "I-I was too late... He already had th-the s-surgery-"

"But he didn't," Picani interrupted, and I froze, pulling away from him in shock.

"Wha... I don't- He didn't?" I stuttered, struggling to form a coherent sentence.

"He didn't," Picani said before turning to face the others as he continued. "After the anesthesia kicked in, we took him back for a scan to see what we were dealing with, and, when we took the scan, his lungs were clear of pet-"

"Oh my god," I shouted, interrupting Picani and causing everyone else to flinch in shock.

"What the fuck!" Deceit shouted in response to my shout.

"Deceit!" Patton scolded, not as loud as him, but still rather loud. "Language!"

"Not sorry, Patton," Deceit mumbled, ducking (quack) his head slightly.

"Roman?" Picani asked once everyone had settled down some.

"Yeah, Doc?" I responded, a massive grin on my face.

"What was that for?"

"Oh, um..." I stuttered, blushing slightly as I realized that I would have to admit my feelings for Virgil to Picani. "It's just that... about fifteen minutes ago, I realized that I have romantic feelings for Virgil, and when I heard that he went back for the surgery, I was slightly panicking because I thought I was too late, but now I'm not, and- OH MY GOD, CAN I GO SEE HIM?"

"Oh my," Picani chuckled, shaking his head slightly. "You can Roman. He's in the same room as earlier."

"WoohoOOOOOOOOOO" I whooped, pumping an arm in the air as I skipped over to the elevator, taking it up to the third floor.

As I approached Virgil's door, I saw that it was open halfway, and I paused in the hall, a small bundle of anxiety forming in my stomach. Pushing through the anxiety, I continued down the hall to Virgil's door.

Once I reached it, I stopped in the doorway, seeing Virgil sitting up in his bed. His eyes were wide, and his head was slightly bowed as he looked at his lap. He was fidgeting with the edge of the sheet that rested on his legs, and I could see him biting his bottom lip slightly.

As I stood there, I felt a rush of love for the man in front of me overwhelm me, and I was suddenly very grateful for the little chat Remus and I had that made me accept my feelings.

After what must have been no more than a minute of standing and observing Virgil, I decided to get his attention.

"Virgil?" I said quietly, not wanting to scare him.

As soon as I spoke, I saw Virgil start slightly and look up, immediately catching my eyes. We stayed like that for a few seconds, neither of us saying anything as we just looked at each other.

It was Virgil who broke the silence, asking a question that he must have been wanting to ask for months.

"Do you love me?"

A/N:
Oh my god, y'all don't understand how excited I am right now. Like, I was able to write this so fast, and, like, I'm pretty happy with it, although it's not as good as some of the other chapters. 

Also, I'm thinking of doing a Q&A with the characters around the time I published the first chapter, which was, like, early September. So, like, if you're interested in that, just, like, tell me, but don't send questions until after the epilogue!!!!!!

Until next time,

Take it easy guys, gals, and non-binary pals!

~death_by_fanfic