10.|Just A Girlfriend

Keith hangs up and walks over to the two impatient guys waiting for Arthur's response, while Natalia studied the lake with a pondering frown.

"He said that he'll talk to Mum for us but he thinks we should also plan a good explanation when the time comes to encounter her."

Felix and Jasper nod in a relieved approval.

"Man, I just...I can't believe this actually happened!", Jasper exclaims in frustration, departing from the group.

"You know Keith...I've been giving all these situations quite a bit of thought and to be honest, I feel like separating from each other is our only solution at this point. When we're alone we think for ourselves and have a lower chance of being found.", Felix advises his friend.

"Honestly I've got a feeling that I would regret leaving but can't really trust my gut feelings anymore.", Keith rubs the back of his neck frustrated before looking over at Natalia, "I'll talk it over with Nat."

Felix nods in understanding.

"Just let me know what you decide.", Felix says ending the conversation with a reassuring pat on Keith's shoulder as he departs.

Keith watches Felix catch up with Jasper before heading over to his girlfriend. When he reaches her, he throws his arm around her shoulders, pulls her into a hug, and kisses the back of her head.

"What have you been thinking about?", he says resting his chin on her head.

"Everything."

He gives out a small chuckle.

"That's a lot of thinking you did in just about fifteen minutes."

"If the mystery killer wants me then why kill the Miller's; who I'm not related to and Angela whom I want nothing to do with?", Natalia reasonably asks.

"Mmm...I don't know....There's just too many things I don't understand right now and it's getting on my nerves."

The wailing of sirens suddenly began to cool off as the street overcrowds with all sorts of emergency vehicles.

"What's your opinion about Felix's solution?", Keith finally asks, disturbing the silence.

"Leaving would be a wonderful option but it seems selfish. We're running away from our own problems instead of fixing them", Natalia begins before pulling away from Keith's embrace and placing all her weight on her hands which were tightly clenching the rails of the bridge, "What if Thea or Arthur are next on her list? Or worse; you or your younger siblings. If I can do something about it I'm not gonna lay back and hope that someone else steps up to the plate."

Keith walks over to the rails and allows his body to press against the rail before they both get hit with a strong gust of California's summer wind.

"Now that's one of the million things I love about you.", he says with a playful grin as his dark blue eyes brighten up.

Natalia laughs with one of her rare smiles widening as the tips of her ears turn red.

"And what's that?", she asks after calming down.

"You never give up."

Natalia looks away and shakes her head in doubt.

"Wish I could agree."

Keith sighs.

"Wish you could agree too.", Keith repeats; looking towards the sun's direction as it began to slowly rise higher into the sky changing the temperature and time.

𐊜

After the incident that morning Natalia and Keith rarely brought up conversations. If either one of them asked a question the other would answer with a simple yes or no.