*XVII*

Chapter Seventeen

Ezra drives for quite a long time before he pulls up into this dangerous-looking neighborhood. The houses look like they need a paint job or like they've been through a hurricane. The front lawn tainted with dead flowers and yellow grass and pieces of wood. There was a fog around this pink-ish house like they had a gunfight.

Ezra then pulls up into this dangerous alley and quickly climbs out of the car. I follow him, "what the hell are we doing here?'' I asked, afraid and looking over my shoulder a couple of times.

Without really looking at me Ezra says, "this is where Enzo and his stupid pals live.''

My eyes widen and I'm suddenly more afraid but then Ezra takes my hand and I feel a little safer. "So you're telling me that there's a group of dangerous kids just hanging around here?''

Ezra nodded and soon we're walking through a very dark alley, despite the fact that the sun is still out and shining brighter than a girl's teeth in a Colgate commercial.

Ezra then stops and I follow his lead and someone suddenly comes out of hiding. His hair is dark and he has bruises on his face like me. There's a wicked smile across his face and he has this dangerous look in his eyes.

Enzo winks at me and I look around and see that there is nobody else here but us.

Enzo cracked his knuckles, "what? You tattle to your boyfriend and now he's about to beat me up.''

Ezra starts walking towards him but I hold him back, placing a hand over his chest, feeling his heartbeat. It's beating rapidly like mine, but maybe out of anger instead of fear.

I look at Enzo and frown, "what the hell is wrong with you? Why would you break into someone's home and attack them?''

Enzo laughs and then he points his finger at Ezra, "I was looking for him,'' he then looks at me and smiles. "But when you arrived I knew that it would hurt him a whole lot more if I hurt you.''

Ezra let go of my hand, "enough of this bullshit, why don't we settle this like a man?''

"Why don't I just have sex with your girlfriend, it would be a whole lot more fun.''

I think I just barfed in my mouth.

Before I could reply Ezra charged at him and punched him right in the face. I gasp and I was about to approach when Enzo pulled out a knife and I took a step back. Enzo aimed his knife at Ezra's stomach but Ezra grabbed his wrist and hit it against the wall and the knife fell out of Enzo's hand and he flinched.

I thought it was over but Ezra picked up the knife and stabbed Enzo in the stomach and then pulled out the knife and he walked towards me and I watched as Enzo bled onto the floor, his body completely limb.

Ezra grabbed my hand, "come on, let's go.'' he said.

I shook my head, "I-I can't. He's bl-bleeding.''

Ezra groaned and then he nudged me and when I couldn't move he picked me up bridal style and we ran towards his car. I was shocked that he was able to run while carrying me at the same time.

I was able to get into the passenger side by myself and before we even placed on our seatbelts, Ezra started the car and started driving out the deserted neighborhood.

I looked at Ezra, shocked by what just happened. "Why didn't we call the paramedics? He needs the paramedics!''

Ezra glanced at me for a quick second before turning his attention back on the road, "look, if we called the paramedics then we would have to explain what happened and Enzo's buddies will find out what went down and it will turn into a bloody war.''

I shook my head and through gritted teeth, I said, "why couldn't you just let him live? Why did you just stab him and why are you so . . . calm right now?''

Ezra sighed, "I've been in situations like this before.''

I frowned, "you've killed people before.'' I suddenly didn't feel very safe.

"No . . . not until now. I had to do it, okay? Enzo has been hunting me since I was a little kid and it's finally nice to be able to breathe again. I at least eliminated one of my enemies.''

I knit my eyebrows together, "how can you just remain so calm? You killed someone, Ezra. Enzo is dead!'' I was totally losing my mind.

He continued driving, "I know, I know. But . . . I had to do it. I had to,''

I fold my arms over my chest, "no you didn't. You didn't have to kill him, Ezra. You could've just called the cops.''

Ezra scoffs, "please, that would've ended in like two seconds.'' He then gives me a quick glance, "but he hurt you and didn't deserve to get away with it.''

I shook my head, "how many enemies do you have anyway?''

"Far more than you'd like to know.''

I sighed and leaned back onto my seat. I couldn't believe what had just happened. I can't believe that I just witnessed that. Enzo is dead, Ezra killed him.

At a red light Ezra reaches out for my hand and squeezes it, "I won't let you get hurt, Morgan.'' he said and for some insane reason, I believed him.