Chapter 1- The Snitch?

breakofdawn

Liked by kehlani, champagnepapi, badgalriri and 704,539 othersbreakofdawn Great minds think alike

breakofdawn Great minds think alike..or something like that 🧠 #co-writers

Pushing through the heavy glass door, the March air hit me and I let out a sigh of relief as I collided with the busy streets of New York City. I was finally leaving the office after being there since 10 in the morning.

I work for Universal Music Group as a song writer. I mostly write hip-hop/rap for popular artists you hear on the radio everyday. I also ghost write for some artist, for a higher cost, of course. 'Ghost writing' is when a song writer like myself, writes lyrics and a melody but instead of being credited for it, all the credit goes to the musician as if they wrote it themselves. It's an attempt for the artist to look more creative than what they are to the public. Because the writer isn't being credited at all, the cost is almost half of the profits the artist makes from the song.

In hip hop, there's nothing wrong with working with a writer. It's having a ghost writer that's frowned upon. So it's completely confidential when I ghost write for an artist.

I never saw what the embarrassment was about though. I don't think it's what separates a good rapper from a bad one. Some people may not have the creativity to write, but have the voice or passion to deliver the words I wrote, perfectly. That's a talent all in itself too.

From the songs I write, I get what's called 'royalties'. Every record sold, every stream listened to, I get a percentage of the profits the artist makes from that. So if a song gets really popular, tops the charts, and goes platinum? That's more money in my pocket. The bigger the artist the better chance it has of becoming a hit which equals a bigger check.  Sometimes I'm assigned to write for a new artist, and the song I write for them could be their first hit, and a first hit is always huge because it creates hype around the artists name.

breakofdawn