S I X T Y - E I G H T : F A I L U R E

Rick and I walked back to the remaining two officers we had taken from Grady.

We had managed to take three hostages to try and get both Beth and Lee back from the hospital, but one escaped, forcing Rick to kill him.

I had also learned that while Lee and I were here scopping out the area, Gareth and his group attacked the church, and Bob died from a bite.

I knew something had snapped in Rick, with the way he was now. Back at the church, he must've had to do anything to protect our family.

I was grateful that Sophia was fine but now our goal was to get both Lee and Beth back.

"He was a good man," Officer Shepherd looked at us when we walked back. "He was attacked by rotters. Saw it go down."

Rick let out a scoff. "You're a damn good liar."

"He was attacked by rotters, that's the story," she looked Rick.

"You said the trade was a bad idea," I referred to earlier when she said the deal wouldn't work because Dawn, who was in charge at Brady, wouldn't risk it for those officers. "What made you change your mind?"

"Lamson was our shot," she shook her head. "So it's this or you go in guns blazing right? You don't want that."

"If this is some bullshit your spitting and things go south-"I start before getting cut off by her.

"I know!" she looks over at Rick, who held a hardened glare at her. "I know the good ones from the bad, let us help you."

Rick remained silent, before looking over at the other officer who I still didn't know his name. "What about you? You wanna live? How much?"

"Dawns afraid she'll look weak in front of us," he said. "Thinks it'll tip things against her," he looks over at Shepherd. "Hell, it will. She'll see this trade as a rip off if she thinks you took out one of ours guy. So it's a good thing Lamson got aced by rotters."

Rick nodded and looked over at us.

I locked eyes with him and I could tell we were in the same predicament.

The two of us both desperately needed this deal to work, because if not, all hope would be lost.

<>

I continued to lead the officer I was in charge of to the car, while Tyreese and Sasha surveyed the parking lot.

Rick would be the one to go down to the ground and meet up with the officers in a bit.

The two of us kneeled the two officers down and I sighed.

I looked over to spot Rick staring at the two, with his jaw clenched as thoughts ran through his mind.

"Hey," I muttered and he looked over. "This'll work, it has to."

"It needs to," he nodded, his eyes evident he's been through hell these past few days. "Because I don't know what I'll do if it doesn't."

Soon Rick was on the floor waiting while both Sasha and I were playing as snipers for when they' arrive.

I spotted a black and red patrol car slowly approaching the site, and I trailed it with my scope before snapping my fingers, signaling to Tyreese to alert Rick.

"They're headed towards the vantage point," I heard him speak into the talkie.

"Okay, copy that," Rick muttered from the other side before the talkie fell silent.

The car then reached the top level of the shorter parking garage, where Rick stood waiting with his hands up.

The two officers stepped out, with their guns raised at Rick.