S I X T Y : T O L E R A T E

Daryl

Images of the prison getting overrun and the governor ruining the home we had kept replaying over and over in my mind.

Images of Clem getting torn apart by walkers or getting killed by the governor as possibilities of what happened to her flood my mind.

We had stumbled across Clementine's bloody hat on the floor and it almost broke me.

Knowing that it was a confirmation that she was dead.

I want to hold onto hope that she's alive, but even if she were, what are the odds of the two of us reuniting?

Why would this be any different?

Panic flew in me as I thought of the baby.

Would she have to give birth to it alone?

Would the baby even live that long?

It would have to grow up with a father now, while Clem would do her best to remain strong for our child.

I wouldn't see her, or the baby. Ever.

Even... Sophia.

A big part of me hoped that she survived, that she was with Lee and I'd find her, but I knew that was a shot in the dark.

I wanted to see the little girl again, even if the two of us weren't completely comftorable around each other.

We had never really gotten to bond, except for today.

I know she could take care of herself but who knows if we'd cross paths again.

Or what if she just wouldn't be interested in staying with me if Clem wasn't with me.

I'll never see the two most important girls in my life ever again.

I let out a huff and send a bolt at an approaching walker headed towards Beth and I while we continue to run from the prison.

From the place that was our home just hours ago.

My eyes fill with sadness as my body goes to autopilot once more while my mind flies to her.

It should be easy, living on without her in my life, but it's not.

For so long, my walls remained untouched, as no one took a chance on the broken redneck.

Merle had taught me to never allow someone into my heart.

But she defied that.

I pushed it away for so long, and now that I accepted it, only a few months later did it get taken away.

She refused to back down during our arguments, to give up on me whenever I felt like a lost cause.

She was the one that saved Merle, saving me from a lifetime of heartache.

I wish I could just open my eyes and see her standing there, her one eye looking at me with joy and running to embrace me.

Before it was easy surviving on my own, back when I didn't know who she was, back when I hadn't opened up to anyone.

But now, survival would be so much harder, knowing every choice I make, can determine whether I see her again or not.

I snap out of autopilot as Beth slips before I bring her back up to her feet as the two to of us continue running from the approaching herd.

We break through a field to waist high grass and soon when we maintained a safe distance from the walkers, the two of us collapse onto the soft dirt as we try to catch our breaths and vultures circle overhead.