F O R T Y - N I N E : I N D I F F E R E N C E

Daryl's POV

I pull the van to a stop, the veterinarian school in sight.

"We walk from here," I mutter as I hop out the van, with the others following pursuit.

We continue walking as we draw closer to the school. "Looks like we're getting closer," I say, clearing my voice, wanting nothing more to just get the supplies and get home to her.

Fear surrounds me as I suddenly fear that she's dead, that she's dying alone without me by her side, without me to comfort her.

"The building we want is just up ahead." Tyreese snaps me out of my thoughts as he gestures to one of the main buildings.

We reach the building and I'm the first to enter, holding my crossbow high as the door squeaks open, to reveal a dark hallway with no walker's insight.

I usher the group inside, heading deeper in the hallway, looking for the target room.

We all enter a room at the end of the hallway and cages are scattered across the room naturally lit up from the sun with lab tables on the side.

I look over the room and can tell it was used to hold smaller animals, most likely rabbits or dogs. My eyes veer from the cages and they stop at a door that leads into another room and I don't hesitate in entering it, with Michonne and Lee hot on my tail.

I sigh in relief as the room contains medicine, bottles in cabinets, hoping these will help our people.

That it'll help her.

I pull the door open and Bob jogs in the room, lightly smiling at the small accomplishment.

"Anything ending with –cillin or –cin," he says as he opens the cabinet door on another side, beginning to scan the bottles. "C-I-N, grab it. We'll dissolve the pills in the IVs, put 'em right into their bloodstream."

"Dosage will be tricky with the time we've lost," he finishes and stuffs a handful of bottles in his bag on a table in the center of the room.

Tyreese, Lee and Michonne enter the room with more bags on them and I'm much relieved this mission hasn't turned to a bust yet, but I can't get my hopes up yet.

"What'd you get?" Bob asks, locking his eyes with the trio.

"Bags, tubes, clamps, and connectors, everything on the list," Tyreese nods at us.

"What about y'all?" Lee counters.

"We got it," Bob nods.

"Yeah," I say. "We got it all."

I scan the cabinets over once before turning back and throwing my bag on my back, and grab my crossbow. "Alright, let's roll."

The five of us exit the room with me leading as I guide us through the hallway with my flashlight hitting every corner of the room.

As we're about to pass an open doorway I hear faint low growls emanating from it.

"Sh, sh, sh," I hush shining the flashlight in the room to show the group.

We hurriedly passed the room and ran to the end of the hallway, trying to escape from the building.

"Up ahead," Michonne ushers and we head into a pitch black room as we hear more growls building up behind us.

Bob is the last one in and he struggles to hold the door. "It won't lock!" he whispers and we quickly barricade the doorway as walkers begin banging on the door.