E I G H T E E N : B R E A C H

"Always be thankful for the bad things in life. They open your eyes to see the good things you weren't paying attention to before."

                                                       ~Anonymous

I stare out into the field, leaning against the railing on the catwalk. The group was inside, most likely getting ready for the next day.

The crickets chirped and the moon was peeking from behind the clouds.

I sighed and put my hands on the edges of my nose. I know it shouldn't bug me, but I was terrified for when Lori would deliver.

Hershel wouldn't be able to help, and I had no experience. It didn't help that Lori was overdue, and we didn't know when the baby would come.

The door opens and out steps a shadow. I glance at him and turn back, looking past the fence where some muertos were walking aimlessly.

"Rick said we don' need to go on watch for a while, least not till tomorrow," he grumbled, stepping next to me.

I shrugged. "I know, just, thinking."

"Bout what?" he set his crossbow down.

"Everything," I breathed out. "Guess I'm nervous for when Lori gives birth."

He nodded and looked out at the field.

"Ye don' need to worry about that," he finally spoke, after a few silent moments.

I turned to him, eyebrows scrunched.

"Ye got the group, helping ye. I doubt ye'll mess up, but if ye do, ye got us to help," he turned to me, his eyes darting around, thinking of what to say.

I chuckled. "That's good Dixon. I know you're not one to comfort, but I guess that did the job."

Even though he never let anyone in, I found it nice how he tried to help others, even if it put him in danger, or in awkward moments.

He looked down at me, and for a split second, I could've sworn I saw a real smile. Not a smirk, a smile.

It was something rare, something I've never seen in the nine months I've known him.

And I knew I would never see it again.

I looked back out at the field. "You better go get some sleep Dixon, I'm staying here all night."

"Nah, ye're going to bed woman," he shook his head, picking up his crossbow.

I look at him and sigh. "No Daryl, I just need some time alone. Please?"

I just needed to drown myself in my thoughts.

He bit his lip, and looked out at the field, before looking back at me. "Come on," he shook his head.

I shook my head, scowling. "I'm serious Daryl."

"And so am I, come on," he reached to grab my arm, but I yanked it back.

"Daryl, I said no. If I want to stay here, I can." I say, not backing down.

"Dammit woman!" he growled, stepping closer to me. "Go, and then tomorrow you can be the stubborn bitch and keep watch."

I glared at him, locking my eyes with him.

I stared at him, waiting, to see if he would back down. But he didn't.

And I knew he wouldn't.

I sighed and closed my eyes, dropping my head. I couldn't win this time.

"Pendejo," I growled, brushing past him, clutching my bow.