F I F T Y - S I X : B O N D

Daryl

I was in the courtyard, getting ready to go hunting, rolling out a new rope for a place to hang my kills.

Clem left about 30 minutes ago with Hershel and Michonne.

"Could I go with you?"

"Huh?" I grunt and turn around, coming to face Sophia who was approaching me.

"Sorry," I shook my head, slinging my crossbow over my shoulder and brushing past her to head to the field.

"Please?" She begged.

"Ain't gonna risk it," I shook my head, turning to meet her eyes.

"I can take care of myself," she squinted her eyes, taking a step closer to me. "We both know that. Nothing will happen, just please let me go."

I stared at her for a few seconds, contemplating. I knew this girl could take care of herself, she's learned from the best, but I don't know what I'd do if something happened to her.

I've grown a somewhat liking of her, and even though I could never be her dad, I sure as hell would try to take that parental figure of her.

She's Clementine daughter, and when I vowed to love Clem every day, I also vowed to love her.

"I said no," I finally said, turning around and wanting to just head out the prison.

"I can't stand another moment here," she said. "The kids are oblivious to what's going on out there, and everyone's on edge because of the sickness. Please, you won't even know I'm there. Just let me go with you."

I scowled, shaking my head as I looked at the ground.

"Fine," I turned around to meet her gaze. "But if anything happens, it's on ye."

"Got it," she broke into a grin as she bounded up to me.

We continued on and headed to the tied-up hole in the fence where Clem and I go out to hunt sometimes.

"Secure that before we head out," I motion to her stump and she nods, finishing to secure the knife. "Done."

I nod and quickly undo the ties, hopping out as I hold my crossbow, ready to kill any walkers as Sophia quickly works to tie up the fence again.

"Let's go!" I shout to her once she's finished and the two of us hurry off into the safety of the trees.

A few minutes in I've already collected two squirrels and Sophia takes down a rabbit with her silencer.

We head deeper, and I begin searching for any deer tracks, hopeful to find some.

I haven't seen any tracks in months, and I'm anxious to get my hands on a deer.

"What are you looking for?" I hear Sophia ask and I crane my neck to meet her eyes.

"Deer tracks," I say, before looking back at the ground, running my hand over the dead leaves.

She hummed in response and looked back up, scanning the trees.

I paused, and sighed.

I should teach her, one day she could be all alone and stuck trying to survive alone, without either of us to help her

"Do ye know how to track?" I say, looking back at her.

She shook her head, taking a step towards me.

"Come 'ere," I mutter, moving over so she could bend down and learn.

She hesitated before nodding and slowly kneeling next to me.